30. Along the way

As they were still driving home. Lucy suddenly had a flash of images in her head.

A beak. A mask. A long table. A judge.

At the sudden barrage of questions and new thoughts. She yelled out "STOP!"

The car lurched. Hitting on the breaks so fast. Lucy unbuckled her belt and ran out of the limousine. Oswald yelling and screaming after her.

She kept running. She didn't look back. She just kept going, not stopping until she knew that no one could find her. Mainly because even she didn't know where she was. So how could anyone else?

Out of nowhere, rain came crashing down all around her. And thunder boomed and echoed throughout the alleyway. She didn't understand what was happening.

It was like her reality was morphed into wild hallucinations and erratic thoughts.

It was like she was trapped in her own mind. But this horrible dream she was in, was and is her reality. It's a living nightmare. Lightning stuck in front of her, she expected to be electrocuted but instead there stood a man. She couldn't quite see him, due to the cloak he wore. But she knew he hadn't been there before the lightning strike. Who was this man, and how the hell did that lightning strike bring him here?

"It's coming child, and there is nothing no one can do to stop it, or change the outcome. It must happen. He will rise and Gotham will burn. A wall so thick will separate Gotham from the outside world and she will play God. Be careful child, the decisions you make will effect your future's future. Do not let him take away that which you will hold most dear. The little black bird shall spread his wings when his father has lost his feathers...."

Thunder clapped again and lightning stuck the man and he was gone just as soon as he had come.

She was so confused who was that man and what the heck did he mean? What kind of drugs was he on? Or better yet what kind of drugs did the doc give her?

The sky cleared and there was nothing in sight. No stars, on plane lights, nothing but the moon and the clouds over it.

She was tired, frustrated, stressed, and most of all done with the bullshit her mind was putting her through

She didn't know anymore if what she saw was a delusion or if it actually happened. She was so confused by everything. Life seemed hopeless right now.

She had no idea what time it was or how long she'd been gone. Suddenly she felt someone grasp her wrist. At the sudden touch, she turned around quickly and punched whoever it was in the nose.

The person let her go and clutched his nose.

"Ow What the fuck was that for?!"

"Oh my god! Oswald?!"

"Yes it's me!"

"Oh my god I'm so sorry!"

"This is Gotham, it's understandable. But please, next time look at who you're punching!" He said chuckling slightly.

"Can we? Can we go home please?!" She asked slightly sheepishly.

Remembering how she had just ran away from him and the car.

"Of course dear. Please never punching me again, you have a mean sharp right hook." He said still holding his nose.

He took her hand in his, and began to lead her back to the car.

Once they were seated, and the chauffeur began driving again, Oswald said, "Please, tell me. What you were thinking? Why would you be so irrational and run out of the car? Was it something I said? Or something I have done?"

She just looked down at her hands.

Oswald continued asking what was wrong.

She continued to stay silent, being caught up in her thoughts. Thinking about what the man said and the things she saw in her mind.

What court? There weren't any courts she knew of that wore masks. Maybe wigs but never masks.

"Answer me!!!" Oswald yelled at her.

She was startled from the sudden outburst. She hadn't yet seen this side of Oswald. The temperamental side.

"I- I don't know Oswald." She said and then continued, her voice barely above a whisper. "I think somethings wrong with me..."

Oswald's facial expression softened as he heard what she had said.

"I... my- my mind... I don't understand. One minute I'm fine then next I'm seeing and hearing things. Something about a court and people in beaked masks. Then...." she trails off.

"Then?"

"Then when I ran, I got lost and then there was rain, thunder and lightning struck in front of me. I didn't get hit, but there was a man who wasn't there before. And he spoke to me. Then lightning struck again and he was gone...."

Oswald just looked at her, not believing her. Not not believing her, but not understanding how it was possible. After all it was supposed to impossible to come back to life but here she was.

"Oswald... I'm scared..." she whispered as she shed her tears.

"I'm sorry, Lucy. I'm sorry I yelled at you. I... I admit I don't understand how any of this could happen. But I believe you." He said putting his hand on her shoulder in comfort.

Lusciana supposed, that even though the journey would be hard, along the way she'd have her friends and allies.