15. Memories of life before death

Soon word got around Gotham that the presumed dead, Isabelle Pennington, was alive.

Fish was ecstatic to have her dear little doll back. She sent Butch to go collect her from the GCPD. Jim Gordon was wary but let her leave with him.

"Who are you? How do you know me?"

"I'm Butch, and I'm a friend of your mother's." He said

"But the medical examiner said I didn't have any living family."

"Well you don't. But Fish Mooney adopted you as her own."

"Oh thanks."

We got into his Bentley and began driving to our destination. Suddenly someone shot the windows in.

I shrieked, scared of getting hit. I crouched down and I felt my bones crack. When I looked up. It was like Butch was a giant. He looked at me. Or where I was supposed to be. Then he looked down.

"Oh shit! What the hell!" He swerved and nearly missed an oncoming car.

I wanted to ask what it was but I found I couldn't speak.

Suddenly we lurched as the car stopped in front of a place with a neon fish sign.

I went flying into the windshield.

Ugh. What the hell? Why was I so small.

Then I felt something grab the scruff of my neck and pulled me out of the car.

I hissed at him not liking the feeling of being manhandled. That's when I heard myself meow.

Oh my god?! Was I a cat?

Soon I relaxed in Butch's arms. And began purring?

Once he was near Fish's usual seat. I felt my bones crack again, and I was human again. Startled by my change, Butch dropped me. But caught me before I could hit the ground.

"Well hello! My little doll! How are you?! Are you Well?! Do I need to kill someone with my bare hands?" Fish said somewhat excited.

"Umm no?"

"Boss I don't think she knows who you are..." Butch suggested.

"Nonsense! Of course she does! She's my daughter.. I know my little doll remembers her mama!"

"I..." suddenly I got a major headache. I crouched down and held my head.

*flashback*
I put on the outfit and Fish clapped.

"Nice. Very nice. I like it."

"Thank you. You did pick it out for me."

"That I did. Now I believe we are ready."

"Yes I believe we are."

"Then lets go." She said offering her arm to me.

We linked arms and made our descent down the stairs. The music and chatter still thriving. Once we finally stepped into the room, everyone went quiet.

And looked at us.

"Why are they looking at us, Fish?"

"They're not looking at us, they're looking at you. And for good reason. You look stunning."

"Oh..." I looked down and blushed.

"Alright everyone back to your own business!" Fish said as she unlinked our arms and clapped twice.

Everyone did as she said. I looked back up at her and smiled. She nodded at me in assurance.
*flashback over*

"Fish?" I said standing up and sounding unsure.

"Yes doll?" She said with a smile and a look somewhat of concern.

"I remember some things..."

"See I knew you would!" She said wrapping her arms around me in an embrace.

"Who is penguin?"

"Hmm?"

"Penguin?"

"Oh that rat. Yes I take it back. You and him wouldn't get along. He betrayed me. I treated him like a son, and he betrayed me! You... you'd never betray your mother would you?" She said still somewhat angry.

"No I would never. You took me in when I had no where else to go..."

"That's right. Now let's get you settled shall we?" She linked her arm in mine and guided me upstairs and into a room.

"Home sweet home? This is your room. Remember?"

"I think so..." I said flopping on the bed.

"Well I'll let you rest for the rest of the day. Tomorrow we have work to do."

"Work?"

"To find the one who framed you and sent you to that hell hole." She smiled and closed the door.

I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

*dream*
I was alone in a huge house. It seemed like I was a child again.

"Hello?" Child me said. "Mommy! Daddy! I don't like this game anymore! Please come out now!"

Then shadows enveloped me and there were two people laughing at me. "You do as we tell you Isabelle!"

"But mommy I don't want to be alone anymore!"

"You'll always be alone! No one will ever love you. We don't!"

"But daddy! Why? Did I do something wrong?"

"You were born."

Suddenly the scene changed and I was a teenager. I was in the huge house again but this time there were people all around me and I was covered in blood. I tried to yell, "I didn't do it!"

"You killed them! It's your fault they're dead!"

"No! Nooooo! I didn't do it!"

The scene changed again and I was in a spooky building with black gates.

"Welcome to Arkham little girl!" Said a guard.

"I'm not a little girl!" I screamed.

"Sure your not. Now be a good little girl and be quiet, and do as daddy tells you!" The guard said taking off my uniform.

I brandished a knife out of nowhere and stabbed him to death. I kept stabbing and stabbing. I didn't stop.

"You. Are. Evil!" I screamed at his dead body.

The scene changed to a field of flowers and a single tree in the middle of it all.

A little girl ran up to me.

"Promise me you'll do what you think is right with your new powers. Remember who you are!"

*end of dream*

I woke up with a gasp and my head began to throb. Images flashed through me and memories were flooding my mind.

I remembered everything.