Chapter 18

Ash brought his face closer to the screen, eyes somehow tired from the blaring radiation it emits, he grumbled, "I've looked through everything and there aren't any more hidden files." He slumped back to his seat, Ash was definitely annoyed at how little the information he have gathered after all his efforts; he turned to Max who was in charged of searching the books in the bookshelves, just to see if there are any viable data inside. Sadly, Max wasn't lucky either, there were a lot of it listed that were very foreign to him.

"I don't understand the test data but it dates back to over a decade ago. Including Griff's case." He admitted, he continued to scan the files in his hands, there were dissection logs of soldiers way back; he came up with a conclusion that even Ash have already realized.

"The possibility of the military involvement?" Ash answered in a voice as nonchalant he could muster, it was not that difficult to not notice. Ash haven't even had a decent rest, part of the reason was the investigation but it was mainly because of how you went out with Shorter to meet with his informant. He trusts Shorter, no doubt, there's just this constant bickering in his voice that something bad might happen to you and he hated how it distracted him so much; the heaviness in his heart wasn't helping especially when Ash finally had the strength to view the folder designated to yours.

Yet even having such preparations in his mind, it wasn't enough compared to what he had unraveled.

It was that horrible, the fearsome lynx couldn't handle it. The folder mainly contained your data from when you were young up to you teenage years; your parents had been planning on experimenting on you and your sister since you were born. Despite it being named with your sister, there was hardly anything about her on it in which he did find strange. Ash didn't really focused that much on that folder as there's nothing in there that was related to Banana Fish, except for one video.

Ash had to watch it in the lowest volume setting in order for Max to not hear anything; he remembered how your eyes widened at sight of your name along with the fear flashed in it. Honestly, that was the only reason why Ash decided to let you go with Shorter, you needed some time to think and being in this unknown environment wasn't really helping.

You were so desperate to get away from the mansion—from this folder. Ash understood why after watching the video.

It started out with a black screen and a man's voice, "This is 01 and trial 1 of Banana Fish." After his lines, the cover of the camera was removed and you were in full view. A younger version of you was strapped to a table that was elevated for the camera to capture your full body in frame; you wore nothing but a blind fold and a gag in your mouth, it made Ash look away for a second, unable to digest what he had saw.

Your cries were muffled, he can hear you tugging at your restraints, Ash turned back to his screen just in time for him to see a man's with a labcoat, inject you with a transparent fluid. Your body immediately went into a shock, you convulsed on the table and your heart rate was erratic; everyone in the room began to scream orders, panicking at the possibility of you flat-lining until your heart rate slowly went back to normal and your body stilled. A lady took off your blindfold, you were crossed-eyed anf almost looked dead. They released you from the table, letting your body fall down harshly on the floor, the woman sighed, shaking her head as she glared at the one behind the camera, "01, failed."

She bent down and raised your head up by yanking your hair, the video was cut off when the woman was about to slap your face.

It took Ash a while before he can fully function again, he have heard different screams and cry for help but yours definitely haunted him more than those that was already did. Ash couldn't take his mind off of your state and that was only the beginning of everything you have experienced. He wanted to protect you, to go through the screen and hurt those who hurt you.