Chapter 24

As you were escorted to the bathroom, you felt a bit weary from Val. She was a bit, odd. You weren't sure you could trust her but since she is one of Ash's subordinates, there shouldn't be anything to worry about right?

Click. You heard the door being locked.

"Fuck, I'm screwed." You bit your lip, there was no way you can fight her off when your body is at this weakened state. Is the room soundproof? You thought of screaming for help. You felt a looming presence behind you that made you freeze in your spot. You held your breath and waited for her next move, hands balled into a fist, ready to launch a punch on her if she dared to step across the line.

You heard her say, "Hey. Can I ask you something?"

You timidly nodded in response. Her heels echoed through the bathroom as she walked to be in your line of sight. Her hands rested on her hips, she was staring at you so intensely with her lips pursed into a thin line. You crossed your arms, you weren't going to back down from her. If you're going down, might as well take her deeper.

"You.." She started, leaning forward as her free hand pointed at your face. "What is your skincare routine? You're skin is sooooo clear!" She squealed, continuing to compliment your skin and even your unkept hair! Your face was slowly becoming hot from being flustered at all the compliments you're receiving. You weren't used to being treated with this kind of attention, your held your arms up, trying to calm her down as she continued to ramble on about the society's current trends.

"Oh sorry! I was trying real hard to keep it in but aaaaa~ I'm a weak for beauty.." She whined with tears forming in the end of her eyes. Although you do feel relieved that Val has no malice for you, you'd rather she kill you instead of raining you with compliments you can't bear to accept as you're awkward at handling them. "No it's fine. I'm just really tired." You assured her which immediately brightened her mood, you could almost see a flowery background surrounding her by the way her eyes twinkled in delight.

"Big sister, you're so nice (y/n)! Don't worry, I can help you relax!" It was a good thing Val turned around to prepare you for your bath so she wouldn't see how uncomfortable your expression was when she addressed you as "big sister". Your twin, Alistair, popped in your mind. You continued to watch Val who was testing out the temperature of the water in the tub. She was humming along to some cheerful tune, smiling without a care for the world.

Would Alistair be like that if your circumstances weren't like this? Why must the two of you suffer so much? You just want to live a peaceful life, a perfect mirage in this imperfect world. You couldn't help but grit your teeth, it was unfair.

Val placed some essential oils on the tub, swirling it around to make sure it blends well. She looked back towards you, "I think it's....," Her voice lowered seeing your dazedly look. "Big sister?" She called out to you, waving her palms in front of your face to get you to snap out of whatever your thoughts were.

"Huh..? Ah, I'm sorry. I just..." You couldn't find the words to say. Val shakes her head, she told you she'll leave you a bit to get in the tub and call her once you settled in since she can't really leave you alone or else Ash will give her an earful. You slipped off on your clothes, a gasp escaped your lips, seeing your scar-less body. You turned around, even your brand was gone— the 01, is gone. You wrapped your arms around your body, it didn't feel like yours.

They must have prepared you for the selling.

Taking a deep breath, you dipped yourself on the tub, relaxing against the warmth feeling of the fluid. A knock on the door reminded you of what you had to do, you ushered Val inside. The door opened with a bang, you chuckled to see how giddy Val was. She helped you with rinsing you hair as she chatted about her life. You have learned that she was taken and raised by Ash's gang alongside with this young boy named Skip. Her voice faded upon saying the boy's name, indicating that it was a rather difficult topic to dwell into.