Chapter 13

"Where did you get this?" You grabbed his phone to inspect the photo further, it was indeed you, holding Golzine's hand inside a high-technology laboratory. Shorter bit the inside of his cheek, he too was scared to know the truth about you, you really did seem like a good person. You kind off grew on him that is why it hurts to see that picture and it was taken quite recently too.

"My informant found it. Figured we needed more information about Abraham Dawson but that's what he found instead."

He had recieved this information earlier and he already told Ash about it but Ash did not want to confront you, instead, he told Shorter to keep it first and let you, do whatever your motives was. Shorter is a straightforward guy and tend to take the safest lane as possible, Ash will beat him up later but atleast, he is clear of who you really are.

"You never do listen, do you?" Shorter chuckled, sensing the presence of his friend behind them. He turned around to see Ash leaning on the wall, arms crossed together and his expression was stoic.

There was no telling on what the lynx is feeling right now, they were both waiting for you to say something.

"I'm an impatient man. You know how I feel about loyalty." There was a glint present in Shorter's eyes, unlike Ash, Shorter was more aggressive and do not mind to get his hands dirty. In fact, he takes pleasure from it. There were a lot of them who decided to betray not only Shorter but also Ash, and Shorter took care of them swiftly.

"Are you sure this is real? When was this taken?" You questioned, your voice cracking driven by the emotions that surged unto you. Your mind was clouded with different voices, they clammored for your attention. You tried to remain calm, to still your breathing but you were hyperventilating.

It can't be real, it was just impossible...

"Woah, woah, calm down. It's okay, we won't kill you. We just need you to be honest baby doll..." Shorter immediately noticed the difference in your demeanor, he comforted you with an unsure smile, he did not know how to calm you down because the only way he knows to calm girls down is through physical affection and he respected your personal space way too much, even if you did turn out to be a foe. Your brought your hands to your chest, your raging heart thudded in your chest. Your feet tingled as the blood pounded in your ears, even your vision became disfigured; as if you were looking through a fish-eye lens. Before you could do any more damage to yourself, Ash stepped in, forcing your body to turn towards him by putting both his hand on your shoulders.

"Shhh...breathe...come on, breathe with me."

You closed your eyes shut, your hands became clenched into a fist. It was so tight that your nails dug into your palms, you just wanted to feel something, to distract you from yourself. Breathing was hard, it was really hard. You mimicked the way Ash is breathing, taking deep breathes and exhaling until there was no air left in your lungs whenever he did.

Time seems to have lost its essence, you didn't know how long you have been clinging to Ash and for once, you didn't care. He wiped the tears that stained your face, his eyes reflected all his emotions. Your hands latched on to his shirt, you burried you face more to his chest. Your voice was muffled and low, but Ash have caught on to it all.

"She's alive...I can't believe my sister is alive.."

You pushed yourself away from him, your head hung low, convering your whole face with your hair. You stared at the wounds you have punctured in your palms, the red blood the seeped through reminded you of all the guilt you have been living with.

"What do you mean..." Ash ran his hand through your hair, he wanted to see your face, he wanted you to look at him.

You brought his hand down, no, you do not deserved to be comforted.