Chapter 23

Ash carefully placed you down on the passenger's seat. He stayed still for a moment, letting your features sink into his head. You were pale, too pale for his liking, and every part of you were cold. His hand went under your chin, raising your head to fix your current posture to avoid any strain on your neck before locking the seat belt in to keep you in place.

He hated how fragile your current state. Ash was steeped with guilt knowing how he lacked and failed to protect you and everyone he held dear. He let out a loud sigh. Ash then proceeded to search around the car to cover you up as you weren't really wearing anything aside from the soiled blanket. He could almost hear you voicing out your complaints about being cold.

"This will do..." He uttered to himself as he found one of his old hoodies discarded at the back of the car. He looked away and kept his gaze to the side since he didn't want to look at your naked form without any consent. He swiftly put over the hoodie on you. Once you were all settled on the seat, he got in on the other side and started driving to the place he knows so well.

His turf, Manhattan.

Despite the road ahead of Ash, his mind was elsewhere. Even with the drowsy feeling that is slowly creeping up and overcoming all of his body, he continued on driving while scheming up for his next move. Yes, Ash Lynx can't let himself rest without securing his safety especially now that he had come with new baggages—he can't afford to sleep out the current situation. Firstly, they will be dealing with Arthur who, up until now, is gathering manpower to strengthen up his forces. Secondly, Shorter's death will cause a few new issues to those who had a positive connections with Shorter seeing how Ash is assumed to be the reason for his death.

The thought of his friend made him grip on the steering wheel a bit more tighter.

"Stupid fucker. Was it that difficult to say good bye?" If only I was the one to die in—Ash took a deep breath to calm his nerves. His emotions are sure quick to attack his mental state, he knows fully well that if he died right now, everyone will still perish...

And Shorter wouldn't want that. Especially to you and Eiji. The two of you were like a rabbit being kept alive in a den filled with lions. A prey being carefully watched by predators and the you both were refreshing to those who only knows the path trailed with blood. Shorter wasn't vocal about it but Ash could sense that he too, values the two of you like how Ash does. Shorter would have gladly die for the two of you even without the given circumstance.

Ash faced towards your figure as soon as he stopped the car, he gently raised your hand, and placed a kiss on the back of your hand. "Don't worry Shorter, I'll keep them safe."

You stirred in your sleep, snatching your hand away from his grip. You curled yourself up, hugging yourself for more warmth before drifting fully back to sleep.

A small smile formed on Ash's lips,

"You can rest well, my partner."

Ash got out of the car and immediately went to the other side to open up the door and scoop you up from the seat. You adjusted yourself to your new sleeping position, snuggling up with your arms around his torso. His scent lulled you into deeper sleep as it unconsciously provided you with a sense of comfort.

"Boss! You're back!" Ash, being extremely exhausted, could only give a small smile to acknowledge the glee of his men's enthusiastic response due to his arrival. They were shocked to see that he was back and even more so when they see he was carrying a girl who seemed to be a bit comfortable in his embrace. "Is that a dead body?" All of them thought but none of them could voice out their questions. Thankfully, you put their mind at ease upon moving around their boss' arms.