Part 31

Could I? Could I live with that? I stopped. My palms red and my shoulders aching. I couldn't live with that. I continued to dig and dig. Thump. The shovel had hit something. Was it a rock? I hit it again. No, not a rock. I wasn't about to get on the ground and dig with my hands that I could not do. Then why was I doing it?

I gently moved the dirt to the side. A black bag. Oh gosh! Why me? It was wrong to say that when I stood beside some bag that held a dead body in it, but second to that being the person that found it wasn't too great either.

"Victoria, you still out he-" Katherine called, walking out of the house. She looked at me standing beside a pile of ground and roses, and I looked at her, a wave of emotions appearing on her face.

Sadness. Confusion. Guilt. So many emotions that I never saw her portray because she kept herself so guarded. Why did it have to be a dead body that brought them out?

"Victoria, I can explain."

I cut Katherine off. "You said no more lying or secrets. What does this look like to you?" I shouted, pointing at the black bag still buried underneath the dirt.

"I know. I know. I'm sorry, but it's not what you think." Katherine cried, walking to me.

I raised the shovel. My arms tired, but the thought of a murderer coming at me, giving me strength. "Don't come any closer," I growled slowly. "That's not a body? Huh! Since it's not what I think. Tell me now, and I'll apologize, and we can have a nice long laugh about this." I said, looking down. She apologized. She said she never did that.

"It is a body," Katherine whispered, ruining the moment. I tossed the fact that she apologized out of the window.

"I thought it wasn't what I think it is. You didn't kill him? Is that also not true?" I asked the shovel tighter than ever in my grip.

"I didn't. I didn't kill him. That is true." Katherine declared, shaking her head up and down.

"They have blood on them."

 "Adonis. He killed whoever is in the bag." I said more than asked.

"Yes, but it was an accident. Did he tell you that he did?"

"Something like that. Tell me what happened?" I said, striking the shovel into the ground.

"Do you want to come inside?" Katherine asked.

"You're not going to kill me, are you?"

"A killer would tell you no and kill you and tell you yes and kill you. You'll just have to trust me. Have I ever hurt you?" Katherine asked as I walked towards the house.

"Not physically," I said, stepping into the house first. I took a seat on the couch in the living room. "Start talking."

Katherine took the chair across from me. "Adonis use to work in the field beside Ryan. One day Isabella gave them a person, a man to go after and collect evidence on. The guy had been raping this girl for a few days, but we get so many people. We can't be everywhere. The guy was doing the act when Adonis and Ryan found him. Adonis ran to help the girl. A child. He got into a fight with the man. When he slammed into him getting ready to punch him there was no need. He fell and hit his head against a sharp rock. Gone instantly. That's what Ryan told me. The child ran away, but we were able to track her down. She hasn't said a word to anybody so far that we know. Ryan placed the body in a bag, and he and Adonis planted him in the ground." Katherine said, taking a break.

"How old is the girl? Who is she? Why not tell the cops? Does Isabella know? Who is the guy someone has to be looking for him?" I asked rapidly as question after question popped into my head.

"She's twelve and honestly a nobody. Her mother is a crackhead and her father isn't in the picture. She's an only child living in the projects. We couldn't go to the cops, Victoria. They would have arrested Adonis and us within a heartbeat. They would ask questions, and what would we tell them. We use Waffle to catch bad guys but also invade people's privacy. Isabella knows. The guy is someone named Paul Pierce. He just moved back to town after being away for years. His parents are dead with no immediate or close family that would be wondering about him."

"So, what now? Do you expect to keep him buried forever?" I whispered—the shock of the situation consuming me. Just when I think things can't get any crazier, and they do.

"No, which is why we kept the body close. The girl. She's our only chance. If she tells what happened and leaves out Adonis and Ryan, then we can-"

"Pin it on her. A child. The victim." I yelled. I was understanding at first. It was an accident, and Adonis was understandably mad about what he saw happening. I didn't want to hear the details about what he saw. It was already going to be hard for me to fall asleep.

"No! She'll say she pushed him trying to get away, and he fell. End of story. She's a poor, mixed with white, little girl. They'll go easy on her. She won't get any time. I guarantee it. Adonis, on the other hand, a, black, grown man will get no sympathy. He'll get time. I know his actions don't justify what happened, but it was an accident. I was going to tell you. I was just waiting for the right time."

"She's mixed. Is her dad white?"

"No, her mom. Her dad is black but she's my skin tone. She's cute. Cute is good. They'll go easy on her. The most she would have to do is see a therapist, and she could use that anyway."

It made sense. She wouldn't do time, and she could get help. "How will we convince her? I don't want to manipulate a victim. I won't. That is not what I signed up for. I can deal with Luke and his guns. I can understand Adonis and his actions and the fact that it was an accident. I won't manipulate a child. She'll have to agree on her own." I stated sternly.

"Deal, and you're perfect. You're nice and gentle. You can convince her. Your good with words and you know what it's like to be a victim to be hurt by people."

"Is that why I'm here? You wanted me to help with this from the very beginning. The sex was that an act maybe you paid Claire to start the fire so that I would get trapped and come work for you? Is none of this real? I should have known. You've been manipulating me from the beginning. The fight at the club made Claire start the fire, which made me want to join WBT, and now here I am. Everything has been leading to this moment." I couldn't believe it. My head was about to explode.