Part 54

"Detective V," I replied, turning around. There she stood in all her glory. I would have said evil glory, but the truth was that Detective V was not harmful. Manipulative, scheming, devious and sly yes but half of those words described Katherine. I couldn't pretend like Detective V was the enemy because she thought what she was doing was the right thing. Her job. Katherine believed her way of doing things was the right thing because the results outshined the means. Neither was wrong, but neither was right all the way.

"So do you want to enjoy some casual conversation, or can we just get to the point like grown women?" Detective V said as if we were about to discuss one of our husbands sleeping with the other. The only issues were neither of us had husbands, and a casual conversation with Detective V was not something I wanted to imagine on my best or worst day.

"I'll pass for today on that conversation let's just get to the point. I know you asked Zabrina to look for the so-called source in our home. A word of advice try asking a child that knows how to sneak around, but either way, I don't appreciate you threatening my child. Don't come near her again or contact her or I'll have you arrested. Are we clear?"

Detective V simply shrugged her left shoulder. "Sure. No more contact with Zabrina. Are you going to tell me Katherine's source now or anything on her for that matter? I know she's involved with Paul Pierce's death, along with leaking a lot of other people's information. Tell me how she does it, and I'll leave you and your child alone. Do we have a deal?" Detective V asked, reaching out her hand to me.

If I took it, if I shook her hand, no one would have to know. No one would have to know that it was me. Ryan, Isabella, and Adonis they would never figure it out. Who would suspect that I would rat Katherine out? The person who changed me who gave me a place to stay and who I adopted a child with. I could save Zabrina and myself. I didn't have to mention Isabella, Adonis, or Ryan. Detective V only seemed interested in Katherine. It would be so easy to hand her over. It would be justifiable. I'm only human—my first instinct. My first impulse was to save myself, and now that impulse extended to Zabrina. My child.

Detective V's hand was waiting patiently in the air for me to shake. I slowly extended my hand out to her and just when she thought I was about to shake her palm I pointed my finger at her and frowned. "That's not why I called you here. I'm giving you two options, so listen and listen well. Go home Detective and forget everything. Forget this moment, forget your obsession with the leaker and forget about Katherine. I won't tell you anything. You know what happened when we were kids. I'm not that kid anymore. I can't be scared and so easily manipulated. I won't be tricked again into giving Katherine up. Refuse my offer, and you leave me no choice."

Detective V's nostrils were flaring madly. Her eyebrows three inches up and her ears poking out. "No choice for what?"

"You don't think I know who you are. You're not the only one who does research Detective V or should I say, Penelope Pierce."

Detective V took in a deep breath, taking a step back. She bit her bottom lip, drawing blood and licked it before it could fall down her chin. Ew.

"Get out of here, Pierce, and don't let me find you anywhere near my family or friends, or everyone will know who you are. Who your brother was." I threatened straightening out my back to stand to my full height. I turned around after Detective V just stood there saying nothing.

"You're going to regret this, Victoria Jones. You're going to regret this. You hear me." I heard her yell as I got further and further away. Was the backyard door that far away when I first walked out here or was it just my nerves skyrocketing. Then I heard it footsteps approaching me, and then everything went black. Shit.

. . .

Rule number one when threatening a crazy, blood licking, police Detective that was related to a child rapist never turn your back on them. That might seem obvious now, but it wasn't every day I put myself in these crazy positions. I wasn't going around threatening weird, deranged Detectives to know that some were crazy enough to knock you out when you aren't looking. My hands and feet were tied up with rope. I knew I was in a car because the car was moving and I could hear other vehicles.