Part 40

"Katie." She said sternly. Katie apologized and closed her mouth. "Rule number one of parenting Victoria. You're the boss, be the boss." Ryan's wife told me. I smiled and looked at poor Katie, who was now burning up with embarrassment.

"That's okay. I don't care about being popular. I just want good friends." Zabrina said, smiling at Katie.

Katie nodded her head. "I can be a good friend, and if you get popular by association well, just consider it a bonus. Mom said we have the same classes. Come on. We don't want to be seen with the old people for too long."

"I'm twenty-two," I whined, bending down and hugging Zabrina. I didn't want to be that mom and embarrass her on the first day, so I would leave even if I did want to see her off to class.

"Like I said. Old." Katie said, opening the door to school.

"Wait. Let me get a picture." I said, taking out my phone. Katie posed beside Zabrina, who simply smiled.

"Let me take one of the two of you, Victoria. Katie get out of the way." Ryan's wife said, shaking her head at her daughter's antics. I gave my phone to her, and she snapped a picture of Zabrina and me my arms around her neck. "You two be good now." Ryan's wife said, waving at them as they stepped into the building.

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry. "Are you going to be okay? I know the first day is always the roughest." Ryan's wife said sweetly.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks so much for being here. Katie is an angel." I said, wiping my tears.

"Now we both know that's a lie. I'll see you later, Victoria. I have your number. Ryan gave it to me. Call or text if you need anything."

"I will," I answered, waving at her as she disappeared into the parking lot.

I looked at the doors of The School of Exceptional Talent one last time before walking away. The first day was always the hardest. I found my car and clicked the unlock button. What will I do now? I didn't think Katherine or Isabella would look for anyone so soon, not with all that had been going on. A few days off would be lovely.

I pulled out of the school parking lot and began to drive. The gates opened, and I took a left on the road. It was now Wednesday, and the forecast had predicted rain for later on today. Things seem to be finally calming down. These past two weeks had felt like nothing but drama after drama. First, there was Claire and the fire, then Luke and the break-in slash shoot out, and if that wasn't enough, a dead body right after a peaceful BBQ. The only somewhat normal encounter through all that was Katherine and me adopting Zabrina, but even that wasn't normal since Katherine had to pay some crackhead for their kid.

A fire starter, a drug, and prostitute dealer, a murder and a crackhead this was like the beginning of a bad joke. I hoped that meant that the end would at least be good. All I wanted was to give Zabrina a normal and as happy as I could make it life. I couldn't protect Zabrina from everything or erase her past, but I could try to make her future a whole lot better. Katherine and I could.

I parked between a silver and black car before getting out. I needed to pick up some items before I got home. My phone buzzed in my pocket. It was a message from Zabrina to Katherine and me.

I love my new school. Everyone is so nice. My teachers said they would give me till next weekend to catch up too. All the other kids have to turn in their work this Friday. :) Thank you Victoria, thank you, Kat. I'm so happy.

I read the message over and over again. BEEP! I dropped my Galaxy on the floor and quickly picked it up. "What are you doing? Get off your phone." An old man yelled at me, stepping down on his gas. My heart was still pounding from being startled, but I was so relieved that Zabrina was having a good day.

I'm so glad, baby. I lo. . .DELETE

I'm so glad, baby. I mis. . .DELETE

I'm so glad, honey. Have a good day, and don't forget to wait for me after school. I texted Zabrina back. I loved her already, but I knew it was way too soon to start saying it. I needed to be patient.

Have a wonderful day, Zabrina, and do stay off your phone. We're paying for you to learn at school, not text us at school. Katherine replied to Zabrina's message. She started out so well.

I'm in the hallways, not in class, Katherine :( Zabrina replied back using Katherine's full name.

Then get to class. You know how many kids wish they could go to a private school. Katherine sent back.

I don't know, nor do I care. :/ Zabrina texted back. Oh gosh. Here we go.

Zabrina watch the attitude, and you better be in class. Katherine replied.

And if I'm not? You wouldn't know. Zabrina texted.

Child, when you get home, you better hope we're not left alone. Katherine stated. Oh no.

You can't spank me. I'm too old for that, and now my teacher is trying to take my phone cause you told me to get to class. She said you have to come to school and pick it.