12

Preparations for the upcoming ball were well underway, the date set for a week after their meeting

Preparations for the upcoming ball were well underway, the date set for a week after their meeting. They needed to make sure they could raise funds necessary in time to start Hoseok's father's treatment, without pushing anything further back. 

The town hall had been booked and advertisements spread throughout the town. Between working at the hotel and making arrangements for the dance, Chris had hardly any time to sleep, but she would always make time to reply to Hoseok's small texts here and there. They didn't get much time to hang out, and so both found themselves texting a lot more than usual.

Hoseok: Good morning, have a beautiful day today!

Chris: Thank you Hoseok, I hope you do too :)

Hoseok: Look at this cloud, it looks like my friend Yooongi (he's quite short, you see).

Chris: Look at this, it looks like you! (Yes, it's the sun)

Hoseok: Please don't overwork yourself, Chris! When you see this text, drink a glass of water for me, hmm?

Chris: On it :)

Hoseok: You're doing great, Chris. I'm so proud of you!

Chris: How do you always have the right timing, Hoseok?

Hoseok: We're connected ;)

Chris imagined Hoseok's face breaking into a massive smile with that last text; skin pushed in to reveal the small adorable dimples by his mouth. And she was sure if he'd said that in person, it would be accompanied with a wink.

Her eyebrows furrowed when she realised her heart had started to race.

Was she anxious?

Her phone vibrated again, and her eyes flickered down to watch the screen light up.

Hoseok: Photo message

Opening it, she was faced with a selfie, a toothy grin adorning his lips and eyes glistening with laughter.

Hoseok: Dinner? Feel like I haven't seen you in a while.

There it was again, heart picking up speed as if it were competing with the thoughts in her head.

And now, she knew exactly why.

Chris bit her lip, finding the pounding within her shift from butterflies to disappointment. It had just been more than a month since she broke up with her ex; she couldn't be crushing on somebody new already.

She turned her phone off and directed her attention back to the papers in front of her. 

There was no way her feelings could change so fast.