19

Every time Hoseok looked her way, he found himself forgetting how to breathe

Every time Hoseok looked her way, he found himself forgetting how to breathe. He had spent countless years learning to perfect this specific art, especially during dancing.

But as he watched Chris now, he was mesmerised by her smile. Entranced by the way one side lifts higher than the other.

The yellow dress she wore tonight belonged in the sea of sunflowers where they stood. She stood out though, yarrow in the middle of the forest. Autumn leaves playing in her hair as it rested on her shoulders and framed her cheeks adorned with dahlia.

When he met her, he'd called her beautiful. But now he knew that was a lazy way to explain her. She was so much more.

A myriad of sweetness, warmth, compassion, ability. All her characteristics were a garden of roses, and she hardly saw any of it.

"Hey," he whispered as they continued to pluck the sunflowers from the streamers lining the stage.

The ball was now finished, and the boys, along with their families, were left to clean up. They were blasting music through the speakers, chatting about random things and laughing when someone would accidentally fall as they tried to reach something too far.

"Hmm?" she tilted her head to face him, a small smile rapidly forming when their eyes met.

"Let's get out of here."

"Huh?"

"I doubt anyone will notice we're gone."

"Gee, thanks," she teased, and he shook his head.

"You know what I mean," taking a step down on the ladder, he held his hand up for Chris to take it.

Biting her lip, she scanned the hall for anyone watching, but everyone was busy in their little conversations.

Looking back down at Hoseok, he instantly grasped her eyes to his. Eyes filled with welcome.

And without a second thought, she reached out and squeezed it, jumping down to the ground with him. As quickly as they had jumped down, a smile spread across his face, crinkling the sides of his eyes and splitting his mouth open.

I love you.

He was surprised when that thought popped into his mind—sitting right on his tongue.

Shaking it off, he led her to the exit.

"The sun still hasn't set," a soft gasp left Chris's mouth, and Hoseok looked out of the nearest window to find she was right. The glorious yellows and oranges of the sky still hadn't dissolved into darkness yet.

His eyes then travelled back to the woman next to him, and the way she watched the view with such awe evident in her eyes. They glistened with wonder.

And he noticed that when the sun was setting, when the sun was hitting them the way they were, her eyes became a sunset of their own.

As they finally stepped out of the hall, Hoseok stopped for a second to close the door and felt a small tug on his hand. Only then did he realise neither one of them had let go of their hands, and neither one of them had any clue.