"Thank you."

I got to work on changing the oil and checking the car if it needed anymore service. Changing the oil didn't take long, his car was well maintained so once I was done I went back out to see he was looking at my car. I walked over to him and he looks up with an impressed nod.

"Four wheel disc brakes with four-piston callipers. Z28. Muncie four-speed with a new-for-69 standard hurst shifter and connected to a 12-bolt rear axle." He says and I looked at him, with a small smile, "Manual, right?"

"The only way to drive."

"I like your thinking."

"I'm done the oil change and I also checked your car over, everything's clear." I said, and he nods looking at me.

"Sure, let me pay for that." He says and we both walked over to the front counter. I typed in everything before looking at him.

"That'll be $238.50 please."

"On card thanks." He says and I nodded, getting everything ready, "Aren't you a little bit young to be in an auto shop?"

"17 and I have my apprenticeship."

"Are you still in school?"

"Yeah, I am. I got this job during last summer, and I know my way around a hood so I was bumped up. It's better than cleaning toilets." I said, and he chuckles as I handed him the pay machine letting him pay.

"So, what got you into cars in the first place?"

"My older brother did and also the fact I used to boost cars when I was 14." I said, looking at him and he just nods.

"There's different ways in learning." He says and I looked at him chuckling, "Should you be working with your knee injury?"

"Oh that's fine, it was only a partial tear and I'm not doing anything serious."

"What happened?"

"I was tackled off my skateboard." I said, and he chuckles.

"Really?"

"Unfortunately I can't make that up, as much as I wanted too. But I was also lucky enough for it not to totally rip my knee to shreds, so." I said and he nods. His payment was successful so I printed off his invoice, "There you go, it's all cleared Mr Evans."

"Thank you. I'll see you around Bird." He says and I see him giving me a look, I nodded. He leaves and I frowned to myself looking at him, I felt like I knew him from somewhere and what he just said made me question that.

===

The next day had come by and I did the same thing, went to physio appointments and then work. My knee was getting stronger and it didn't hurt as much, I had taken the brace off so I could let my knee breathe.

I looked up to see the waves crashing against the rocks, the sound and smell of the ocean was my favourite. I often came away to the beach when I needed a place to get away, I sat out here for hours before I would go back home.

I hear laughing and I looked to the side to see a mother playing with her two children, one boy and one girl. She grabs the girl making her laugh and she throws her in the air before kissing her on the cheek.

"Mummy..." I said, walking down the hall inching closer to her room. I see the door open and I looked in seeing my mum, just as she looks up she meets my eye immediately closing the door. I caught a glimpse of a needle.

"Mum?" I asked again, I hear shuffling before the door opens my mother getting herself together as she looks at me. She pulls her sleeves down and tries patting down her hair, giving me a smile.