"About? Why?" She looked worried. "Something happened to the herd?" Her anxiety ratcheted up, and moved to remove her duvet. "Because I missed milking yesterday ..."

"No." He reached for her hands, and took them between his hands and squeezed in comfort. "The herd is fine." He watched the concern and guilt that flooded her eyes. "Nothing happened to the herd. They are fine"

She chewed on her lower lip. The fact she allowed him to take her hands without protest was enough proof that her mind was preoccupied. "You are sure?"

He gave her a stern look. "Remember I milked them yesterday."

She exhaled. Narrowed her eyes, "So why are you here?"

"Wanted to see if my patient is doing ok." Despite himself Gray grinned. "And I had some news."

She asked, "News?" His lips settled into a faint smile as he acknowledged her question. Then she realised she was holding his hand. It felt really good. But she could not keep this contact intact.  Nerves kicked in. She shifted on the bed, pretending to get comfortable, taking the opportunity to gainsome time to get her feelings and heart under control.

"Yes." He chuckled and noted the fact she retrieved her hands. He looked as if he was happy about something but something did not add up. The silent conversation in their eyes spoke volumes even though neither said anything and their heads and hearts were doing their best to ignore the messages.

"It is good new or bad news?" Regan asked quietly.

He shook his head and nodded at the same time, "Kind of both."

"Ok."

He looked into her eyes and said calmly, "Got a worker for you. Bob Manning."

"Really?" She was surprised and couldn't not stop her smile. "Really?" She said again. She sounded as if she was trying to convince herself. He had found a worker for her farm. Within a day? What was the catch, she wondered.

"Yes." He also beamed seeing her smiling. And he hoped his next statement would not remove that smile. "But he can't do the evening at the moment."

Like a balloon deflating, she said, "Oh." She shook her head automatically, "Typical." She mumbled beneath her breath. Nothing simple with this situation. Found a worker, but can't work the shifts!

Gray said quickly, "Well, not for the next ten days." He reached for her hand and interlocked their fingers. And the spark returned.

"For ten days?" She retrieved her fingers, and reached for the duvet. She knew she had still four days on sick leave. She asked with pseudo nonchalance, hoping she didn't sound too concerned. "And he can do the mornings now?"

"Yes. But Bob can do both shifts, in two weeks, well, ten days." Gray thought he or his grandfather could do the evening session until Bob was available. The question was how to sell this proposition to Regan.

"You are sure? And he is a good worker. Got real experience? Can handle the shed's technology?"

"Yes. He comes with good references. He has worked as a milker. So not new to him. We would not have to train him. Just show him the system here in the shed."

"And?"

"And it is your decision. Do you want him to start, on the basis that Bob can't do evenings at the moment, but will, in ten days." He said softly coming closer.

She bit her lips and suggested with a small shrug, "Lucy said we could try job sharing. You know, look for two people." But in the back of her mind there was a sense of relief, even if they only engaged Bob for the morning shift. But worth checking the options. "Bob does the morning shift and the other does the evening shift."

"True. But Bob might not want the job on job sharing basic."

"Oh." She squared her shoulders, well at least they had one option.

Gray said quietly, "He was upfront, he said he was not available for ten days, but thought he could fit in the morning for ten days, if we were ok with that, then in ten days time, we would have him working here for both shifts, morning and evening."

"You seem keen." She looked at him. It was interesting that she trusted his opinions. The fact that she was making decisions based on his reports and his insight.

Gray said matter of fact, "Yes. Experienced. Good references. Checked with locals who know him."

"Would you employ Bob at your new place?" She tipped her head to one side as she studied his reaction.

Gray said frankly, "We just don't have any vacancies."

"If he was that good, why isn't he working somewhere?"

Her question brought honesty to the front. "Personal reasons." Gray said softly.

"Personal reasons? That could be anything!"

Gray said quietly, "He is looking after his kids, has to do the school runs in the morning and afternoon. One goes to the secondary school and the other to nursery. His mum will stay with them when she arrives. Will be here in a week but she does not drive, so he would still have to do the staggering drop and pick ups, because nursery is half time, which is why he can't work full time."

"Oh."

"We can adjust the mornings shift for the first ten days, he has to be with his kids to drop them off, around 9, so he could do the milking after that. With his mum, at home, in ten days time, he can do the milking before school, his mother would be at home with the kids. He comes here for 6, will be gone by 8.30." He waited.

"Oh."

"And he can't do evenings for ten days?"

"No, he has to take his children to visit their mother at the hospital. Visiting is from 4pm to 8pm." Gray explained

"Why will that change in ten days?"

"Either his wife comes home, or if there are complications, he can do the milking, leave the kids with his mum, and do the visit after the milking."

She bit her lips, thought about the implications for her and Bob and his family. Watching her, Gray could understand why Jenny approached Regan. Helping people was part of Regan's nature. In her DNA, Gray nearly smiled, as he thought, if he gave any sob story to Regan, she would help.

Regan nodded, then said, "Yes. Ok."