Part 23

Loretta had left them earlier when Gray joined her and Caro, and Loretta used the excuse that she wanted to talk to her grandfather. She just wanted to relate the story. The fact that Regan and the new Gray had had swapped dispositions and the new Gray was flirting her boss, almost as if the old Gray was back! After telling her grandfather, Caro returned to the flirting-couple, hoping to continue to be a fly on the wall, only to find that Caro was on her way out. So Loretta accompanied Gray and they walked Caro to Caro's car which she had left at the gate.

Gray, Loretta and Caro were by Caro's car, when they spotted Regan walking purposefully toward the north-east paddock. Gray knew that Caro was heading home but no idea about Regan plans.

"Sorry about Regan. She's not usually like that." With a rueful smile Loretta told her boss. Gray snorted. "She isn't Gray." Loretta corrected her brother. "You know that. She is lovely. Very kind. Is good to us." Loretta admonished her brother. Loretta was still trying to work out why Regan had reacted in that way. It wasn't like her.

"Her ladyship thinks she owns everyone and everything on this farm." Gray retorted without any hesitation, his voice laced with rancour. "She just camouflages it with that stupid smiley face!" But even as he spoke he wondered why Regan had been so rude. That wasn't her normal character, despite what he was saying in public, he knew that wasn't Regan's usual attitude.

"Gray!" Loretta chastised, surprised by her brother's comments. "Regan is a happy person. Unlike my grumpy brother."

"Regan? Happy?" He snorted.

"Yes!" Loretta laughed. "You know that. And you know, you are cranky! You are really grumpy!"

"Gray? Cranky?" Caro smiled and batted her long lashes as she flirted with Gray. 

"See any cranky characteristics in our tour?" He smiled at Caro.

"No. Just charming characteristics." Caro purred.

"Apparently you bring out the best in him!" Loretta laughed, but knew when to stop playing gooseberry. "Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow. I will leave you with my reformed cranky brother. Good to see the grumpy brother has been replaced by a charming sibling! Night, Caro." And with that she walked away leaving Caro and Gray still smiling at each other.

"So, apparently I bring out the best in you." Caro's lips twitched as she leaned suggestively toward Gray, hoping he'd pick up the open invitation. "Are you a bad boy?"

"Depends on the circumstances and the company." Gray replied with a twinkle in his eye.

Caro moved forward. "What circumstances?" She swiped her tongue over her lips, and pouted, "And any particular company?"

His gaze moved from her lips to her eyes, "Maybe we could do dinner some time?" Gray asked softly. As the words escaped he wondered why he had asked. It had been a long time since he'd been out with anyone, and he knew that it was unlikely he would ever get back to that stage unless he started forgetting about his emotional and physical scars. But that had yet to happen.

Caro's smile widened. "That would be lovely." Then she reached up and gently brushed her lips against his, as it was obvious that he was not going to make the first move. Caro had learnt early on not to miss any opportunity. And Gray was one hell of an opportunity.

Regan turned just at that moment, as she needed the stile to clear the fence, and she saw the kiss. Regan stumbled and fell on the other side of the stile. Typical. Good job she did not have an umbrella as no doubt she would probably stab herself in her fall and she was lucky she only fell backward into a puddle! The sight of the kiss hurt more than the fall. Utter misery enveloped her.  Tears started to stream. Blindly she picked herself up, ignored the mud on her jeans and the damp patch on her rear and she walked on and away. No doubt those grey clouds in the sky and her heart were going to return today.