Part 87

She glared and again noticed he hadn't shaved. When she saw him in the kitchen earlier today, her first thought was he had not shaved, and again she noticed that when she arrived at the shed this evening, and both resulted in her pulse racing. She took a breath. Remember, stay calm. "My mood?" She said quietly. There were times in her life when she wished she was more feisty! 

Gray nodded. "Yes. Your foul mood! This mood." He took a deep calming breath. "That is not normal for you! You don't do moody! Stubborn, yes, but not moody." Obviously she was going to be stubborn. "I imagine you have to go back on shift," he glanced at his watch, "in roughly, twenty five minutes."

"Exactly." Her chin lifted a fraction and her eyes narrowed with contained frustration. If only she could contained her feeling for him, this would not be difficult. But finding a way through this emotional maze was a problem, because it was new to her. When you heart and your mind are not in psych. When you yearn for something that has no foundations, how can you imagine a life with someone you barely know? No experience or the knowledge, on how to merge reality with dreams? "You are wasting my time. So..." But he didn't let her complete her sentence. She pursed her lips, counted to ten. It was something she had learned as a child.

He threw his hands up, "Regan, what is going on here?" He interrupted confidently. "Two days ago, roughly at this time, you and I were having a great time." Their chat two days ago, everything crystallised in his head and heart. But what happens if the crystal shatter? Gray blinked back into the present. No, his heart told his mind, do not give up. "I thought, despite the circumstances, we talked, like friends. Really talked. And we laughed. So I would say, it was a bloody good time!" He watched Regan for a few seconds. His pulse raced with frustration and the fact that he liked her. Like, his heart screamed in challenge, not just like, love. Love. Not the right moment to analyse this unexpectedconclusion. Watching the emotions that raced through her eyes, reminded him about the moment when Regan had walked into his life. A simple issue, a change in their social environment, and his person life changed without him noticing. He remembered her showed him this shed, saw the emotions, a mixture of anxiety and hope that raced through her eyes when she saw him looking at the shed. He was sure she saw his reaction, and was disheartened when she recognised that he was ready to laugh at the shambles. Utterly disaster. Close to ruins. Now the shed was tidy, with new equipment, no sign of adversities. But the biggest difference was Regan. Back then she was diffident, agreed to every plan he mentioned during that short tour. Here, today she was strong-willed and disagreed with practically everything!

"So?" She mumbled.

He noticed the defiant look was back in her eyes but ignored it and asked, "So what happened?" She said nothing. "Has something happened at work?" He moved toward her, worried that something awful had happened at work. Sam was right, she was in the wrong profession! Too many accidents, bad luck, ill-health with awful consequences. Each registered with penalties in her own mental and physical health.

"No." She said with deliberate coolness and started to walk away. "I dealt with the mundane aspects at the centre, mainly filing, interrupted with the odd appointments with the usual, everyday, ordinary, routine, mainly the flu jab! Because you, and do let me know where you trained, Dr Cardozo," She glared, "apparently you gave them the impression that I could not manage today!"

He ignored the sarcasm. "I just reminded them thatyou had just come off a one week sick leave!" He narrowed his eyes and added, "So, something has happened?"

She walked away.

He released a long pent up sigh, ran a hand through his hair and followed her. "We need to talk, Regan." He said loudly as he tracked her.

"Can it wait?" She threw over her shoulder, hoping to dissuade him from staying. During the afternoon she had worked out a plan, on how to deal with him if she met him. And that plan vanished like a mist a few minutes ago. Time to rehashed her plan, without his presence!