Part 55

His eyes flashed. The message in his eyes held her in hostage. Her tongue slowly swiped across her lips and gulped again. Her actions provoked his craving and she felt the reverberations in his body. Could see the muscle ticking at his jaw matched by the throb at the junction of their fused hips.

Slowly he inched forward, rubbing her hips, making the throb at her hips more blatantly. Made slow-motion look fast as he took his time closing the distance between their lips. Their eyes locked together, her mouth opened, as her breath remained in her lungs, while her heart hammered, as she anticipated the kiss.

In Gray's brain, he documented the possibility of a real physical connexion with her and accepted the fact his connection with her was unfeigned and heartfelt. An unexpected link. He knew, gut deep, that kissing her would feel right. Just perfect. He knew that. Uninhibited. Uncontrolled. Liberated. A new roller-coaster.

In Regan's brain, she acknowledged the prospect of a real kiss and she prepared for the onslaught of breath-taking feelings. The message in his eyes promised unfettered, sensational paradise. And that message was electrifying, which is why she knew, kissing him would feel right. Just perfect. She knew that.

He angled his head. His palms cradled her head and his forearms boxed in her head. With the ground behind her head, with his arms framing her head, and with him lowering his head, she laced her fingers behind his back, licked her lips, lowered her eyelashes and waited for paradise to materialise.

He saw the flames of desire in her eyes, just before she closed her eyes. Heady success washed through his body. His eyes open, he angled his head, ran his tongue over his lips and with his lips a breath away from her lips he closed his eyes.

He had barely brushed her lips, just a butterfly breath not actual contact, when they both heard the tanker's loud hoot.

They both recognised the signal. Their tanker driver always hoots to signal his arrival. Normally, when the driver reaches the gates. The tanker's toot was the equivalent of having a bucket of freezing water dumped on their heads. That sound was the circuit braking

The spell vanished like the mist. Yanked from that spell, Gray released her arms, reared backwards, still straddling her hips. She braced and sat upright with him still bestriding her. Again, too close. From horizontal to semi vertical his chest brushed her breasts.

"Fuck." He murmured and reared back despite holding on to her shoulder. What the hell? He thought as he replayed the last few minutes. The universe had re-set. Re-aligned their paths. From divergent to parallel. Disbelief. Wonder. Awareness. He released her shoulders in shock as he accepted that every fuse in his body blew.

Regan fell back, braced by her elbow, which was now lodged in the mud, she could see her unease was mirrored in his eyes. Not apprehension. Just shock mixed with nervousness and anticipation. She recognised her feelings were mirrored in his eyes. Disquiet and a trace of serenity, which was very odd but actually was very exciting. As if they had arrived at their foretold destination. An unplanned destination but a good, amazing, shocking journey's end. And in their eyes, they recognised this was not the last stop, it signalled their starting point for an unexpected relationship. That mixture of wanting and cautious was new to both. And they had not plans for this midpoint. Eagerness, expectation and hope were doused with apprehension. Tension, that was different to the last few months. Even now, with the sound of reason brought by that hoot, there was awareness. A marvellous miracle. And had no idea how to response to that unexpected miracle. The moment continued as they watched each other. No words. Their eyes took over the skill normally associated with their mouths: conversation. A conversation where the words were recognised, were stored, but was hampered by their reticence to accept the message.