Part 56

A week later, she wasn't around when the removal van arrived to move the family's things, and it had surprised Gray just how much they had accumulated while staying at Regan's. Loretta had populated the sitting room with samples, and when they had packed those into the van, the room had suddenly returned to its original threadbare. Regan returned to the farm around six that evening. Gray saw her car pull up, and watched as she collected her bag and headed for the house.

He finished what he was doing in the barn then went in search of her, to hand over the keys. He tried the kitchen first, and there was no sign of her. So he walked along the verandah toward her wing of the house. Strange, he realised that he had never taken a peak to see her side of the house. He tapped on the French windows and peered into the room. He frowned as his eyes tracked the basic room. A bed, a Chester drawers, a wooden chair, and two wardrobes, all looked slightly ramshackle and ancient. The décor in the room reminded him of their rooms when they had first arrived. Surely she didn't like this dilapidated, run-down style? The wallpaper looked like it was from the fifties. He tapped on the windows again, and when he got no response he walked back round the house, wondering where she might be.

He met her as she carried some boxes into the house. "Hi. All done?" She asked as she approached him. She had tried to keep things very neutral. She smiled, kept things friendly, but distant since that near-miss kiss last week.

He nodded and glanced over at the boxes. "You need a hand?" The last week was odd, in many ways. Distance, but not the same as before. More of a defensive act rather than wary. With that miss-kiss in the paddock, constantly reviewed in their heads.

"I can manage." She replied softly and stepped past him. She was going to have to manage on her own from now on, so why not start as she meant to go on?

"At least let me help." He reached forward and took the top two boxes on her stack.

"Thank you." She said. No point arguing about help.

Gray followed her into the kitchen waited for her to put her boxes down on the table.

"Our keys." He handed her three sets. It felt rather odd to be leaving. Even though the day had been getting closer and closer, now, now that it was here, he felt oddly reluctant to leave. Her. He did not want to leave her. He studied her. She had that smile on her lips, the one that didn't quite make it to her eyes.

"Thanks." She smiled, took the keys and placed them on the dresser. It felt surreal, them leaving. Living with them had been a good experience, having people for company.

"I've checked on the cows. Done the last evening milk. The truck will come by tomorrow to collect. There should be pay out in that week. Remember what I told you about this herd, follow my instructions and you will have a good production from that herd." He kept his tone matter of fact. It surprised him just how much it hurt to leave. He hadn't expected to feel this pang of concern for her, or for the farm. He knew she would find it tough going, but he imagined she would resort to employing a manager within a few days.

"Thanks. I have made note of your instructions and I have those videos." Regan said softly. She folded her arms and kept her smile on her lips. Inside, she knew she was falling apart. The fact that she had replayed the mud scene where he nearly kissed her, knew that a part of her was leaving today. "Thanks again. You are a good farmer, a good manager and a good teacher." She said quietly. "Without that, I wouldn't, well, to be honest, I," She looked at the sky and sighed, "I just want to say, thanks."

Gray jammed his hands in his pockets. He should turn and leave. But he found himself drawing out the departure. "Granddad said he'd be by at the weekend." His eyes tracked over her features, as if he wanted to imprint her image in his brain. Why?