Part 2

Absently Jenny stroked her daughter's hair and gathered her closer. It was true. He was very gentle and patient with Shonna. Shonna had taken to him instantly. Shonna was very warm and open with him, which was not her usual way. Shonna was usually cautious with strangers. She tended to take her time appraising them, before deciding whether to consign them to the friend or foe basket. "Then there's his sister. She's at least ten years younger than him." Jenny wasn't sure quite what to make of the young woman. She seemed to be both assertive and at the same time vulnerable. "She's close to going off the rails completely, that's why dad thinks your place will be perfect."

"What do you mean going off the rails?" Regan looked worriedly at Jenny. That sounded ominous. Going off the rails? That could mean anything. Regan lived out in rural Waikanae, she couldn't afford to have someone who was not in control, run amok on her farm. There was no telling what damage would be done. "I can't afford to take on more problems. Let alone social delinquents!"

Jenny almost relaxed. She thought Regan was close to conceding, despite Regan's statement. The fact that Regan was still discussing the situation meant that all was not lost. Jenny shrugged, "She's ok. She just seems to think that life owes her, big time. She needs to figure out what her goals are. Time to take stock and work for what she wants."

Silence descended. The only sound to be heard was clock in the background, pacing off the seconds as the hands worked their way around.

"What makes you think they won't see this as charity?" Regan finally asked. It wasn't as if she didn't want to do Jenny a favour. But the reality was that she couldn't afford to take on any more commitments. She had enough on her plate already. The farm was eating up most of her savings. Her work as a GP was demanding. She had little time to socialise. What with trying to get the farm back into shape, and hold down a job, she had little time, let alone the energy to do almost anything else.

"I've seen the state of your farm!" Jenny replied honestly with a chuckle. "It needs work. Serious work! No one in their right mind would see it as being charitable if they were being asked to work it!"

Jenny knew that Regan had been working hard to get the farm sorted, but despite the fact that Regan was putting in long hours, the number of tasks just kept increasing. It was pretty run down when she'd inherited it. It was in dire need of a makeover, but without the funds to do that, Regan had decided to deal with things one at a time. Fix what she could when she could, and save up to address the things she couldn't manage herself.

"Thanks." Muttered Regan, but knew she couldn't argue the point as the farm was in dire need of attention. Her main problems were experience and expense. But just as she had adopted the sisters and their family, so she had taken on the house and farm. It was a place she associated with happy times and the closest she had ever come to having a real home. The Jones still kept the house down the road from the farm, and used it as a holiday home mainly, though for the last two years, Lucy had been living there on a permanent basis. Regan felt she would retain a small piece of the happy times from her childhood if she kept the farm that bordered the Jones property.

"You said that yourself." Jenny said quietly and gently, and she realised that she was making Regan sad again. Regan's eyes really were windows to her soul. She was very easy to read. It was obvious that she was thinking about things that made her feel lonely and sad. Trying to distract her once again, Jenny said, "You need help. This is ready made help." There was a lot at stake here. The family she was looking to house were in serious need of some TLC, and Regan was the perfect solution.

"I suppose you've already talked to them about this." Regan reached for her next patient's file, and then moved Jenny's folder to the tray on the left of her desk. The stack was small, as they had only just started on the morning drop in surgery. Absent-mindedly Regan began to tidy up her desk, replacing the pens she'd used.