Part 28

The next morning, practically at dawn, Gray and Regan bumped into each other. She was in the kitchen when he came through the door.

"Oh, morning." He muttered sheepishly. He knew what it would look like. Coming in at this time of the morning, after a date, still wearing the clothes from the previous night. But after their meal, Caro told him that she was invited to a party and the invitation included him. So they went to the party. It finished at three, but their return journey was hampered by an accident that blocked the road.

"Morning." She replied. And pure jealousy surged through her. She knew the time, nearly six in the morning. And he was still wearing his clothes from his date. 

He'd stayed out all night. All night. With Mrs Hanley. With knowing that, it really hurt. 

"Well," She mumbled doing her best to hide her dejection, "I've got to be going." She looked for her bag, and picked up her sandwiches and a thermos. Anything to switch off her mind as she replayed what might have happened on his date.

His eyes darkened as they searched her eyes. He remembered the fact that she had been very kind to him yesterday. "I, er, didn't thank you, yesterday." He felt he owed her that much at least. Even now he didn't understand why she had helped boost his self-esteem. 

She looked trustingly into his eyes, and for some reason his pulse hammered in his throat. "Thank me?" Regan stalled by the door, drinking in the sight of his dishevelled appearance. He looked happy, content. Despite being unkempt and a touch scruffy he was still stunning. "For what?" She questioned with a weak smile then pretended to search for her keys in her bag.

"Flatter my ego." He said quietly.

She shook her head, "I didn't do that." and smiled cheerfully. Just a shame that her smile was pasted on. She realised that smiling at someone when you are tempted to screech, is actually rather difficult. But she also realised that a screech in her mind can manifest as a smile.

"Ok. Remember the compliments." He reminded her somewhat sheepishly. He gave her an odd look, before he could add more.

She kept her mutter to herself. Instead, she hedged, "Compliments." She gave up her pretence of searching for her keys and looked at him.

He searched her eyes curiously. "Yes. You were, well, er, nice!"

Regan snorted, "I am nice!"

He smiled, "And I owe you thanks, for stopping me from being a complete ass about a simple date. I was ready to cancelled. And it had been a good first date." Albeit, there was something wrong with the date, but he couldn't figure out why. It was pleasant, easy, decent company, but something about it was just off. They spent a lot of time together on that first day, but it didn't registered as something to remember. A good date. But he had lots of good dates in the past, and he can't actually remember them either because they were just decent dates, enjoyable, pleasant, nothing exceptional.

"I was just telling it as I saw it." She faltered. He had a good first date with Caro, what a shame, her heart screeched.

"You did more than that." Gray said quietly and watched her eyes. Her eyes didn't match the tone in her speech.

She shrugged. "Well, ok. Thanks." Regan replied, but didn't look at him. It hurt. The fact that he had taken another woman out. A young, gorgeous woman and she had helped him to prepare for that date. What at idiot, she told herself. Regan hoped that this sense of loss would recede. But she wondered whether he had ever even contemplated asking her out? Doubt it. Given the number of times he'd accused her of being selfish, and self absorbed, she doubted he'd be attracted to that kind of woman.