Part 25

Sam was about to correct him again, but thought it best not to return to that same argument, only to find that Gray was not finished with that topic.

Gray continued, "She's getting her pound of flesh from us. I don't like it. She's using us." Gray grumbled. And Sam kept his thoughts to himself. Perhaps if he didn't reply to the Gray's claim, he might move on! Gray watched his grandfather's eyes, and could see he was reviewing their conversation. Like his grandfather, Gray had started to wonder about several aspects. The woman was an enigma. "I asked for equipment, necessary equipment, equipment she needs for her farm, and she stalled! Again."

Sam shook his head, "Have you spoken to her about this? There's got to be a reason why she hasn't spent on the equipment. She isn't a miser. If she was, why would she take on feeding three extra mouths?"

For a second Gray hesitated as he considered his grandfather's reasoning. "Perhaps because she gets cheap labour in return. She gets something for nothing." That's what didn't add up. She was employing them, paying them peanuts and appeared to swan around in designer kit, and yet, intuitively, he thought she wasn't the type to be a hypocrite. "She doesn't care about her farm."

"Yeah, and if you follow that argument through to it's logical end point, if she was deliberately letting this place run down, why employ anyone at all? Why put up with your displeasure and resentment?"

"So what are you saying, Granddad?"

Sam frowned. "All I am saying, it doesn't add up, Gray." He looked over at his grandson, "You and I know something doesn't add up." He frowned. The problem is that neither him or his grandson, knew exactly was going on here.

Sam thought perhaps together they could worked it out. "She works hard. She's put up with a lot of crap from you. She's given three of us a roof over our head. Those aren't the actions of a selfish person. And definitely not the actions of a miser!" Sam's frown lines deepened.

"Not sure I agree!" Gray mumbled.

Sam continued with his review, "She cares. Perhaps too deeply. She really cares for people. She's gone in to bat for Lore."

"She probably thought Lore would pay rent!" Gray muttered beneath his breath. And thankfully, his grandfather did not hear his muttering.

Sam continued, "Regan backed Lore and Regan took you on, knowing she'd come out worse for wear after one of your lectures. But she hung in there, fighting for Lore's corner. Those are not the actions of a self-absorbed woman." Sam shook his head.

Inaudible, Gray said, "She probably has her own reasons."

While Sam missed his previous statement he caught Gray's mumbles. "Gray, your view of her is way off. Way, way, off. You have the brains to sort out the chaff from the wheat!"

Gray winced.

"What I don't understand is why you've painted her so harshly."

"Just calling it as I see it!" Gray muffled.

Time for Sam to join the mumble's club and he muttered, "You were never that kind of man."

Gray knew his grandfather was right. He was a kind man, but his behaviour showed anything but kindness.

"We raised you to be fair, reasonable, open-minded, tolerant, charitable." Gray knew his grandfather was telling him off. "You were a charming boy. A confident teenager. A self-assured man. And during those stages, you were never unkind, or never intentionally rude." Sam frowned, and he made sure that their gazes meet, "Until we came here. Now, when I see you talking to Regan, all I can see is a dogmatic and inflexible dictator." Gray winced again.