Part 53

For Regan, working alongside him was a learning experience. On the first day she made copious notes, and did as much as she could, just to make sure that the tasks were things she could handle physically. Some required a change in approach, where he relied on physical strength she had to develop alternative strategies.

While Gray had been clearly surprised by her work ethic on the farm as he showed her some of his routines and general day to day tasks, he'd also assumed she was doing it for his benefit, hoping to persuade him to change his mind.

On the second morning, Gray explained about the herringbone and that he had worked out how many cows can be milked an hour. He explained that efficient milking routine is especially important. He was surprised to see her making copious notes. Well, at least she was taking this seriously, he thought as he explained his strategy and why he had opted for the herringbone. It was the most common dairy type and was ideally suited for her herd. He walked her through the system, and explained how the smallest change in things like milking time, can improve efficiency and quality. "
"Obviously, you want your farm to be profitability." He quirked a brown, but Regan missed it, as she was concentrating on her writing. But she nodded and kept scribbled. Gray rolled his eyes, and continued, "Again, obviously, the maximum number of cows milked per hour depends on your work routine, how you load the row, washing and sanitisation the teats, how you cluster attach and removal. Also the drenching, and row exiting and any waiting time." He was pretty sure there would be lots of waiting in Regan routine because this will be new to her. He stopped beside one row, picked up the teats and he said, "You have to minimise the chance of damaging the udders and the teats." She nodded again. He waited for her to look at him.

She looked up, when he stopped speaking, "What?" She looked around, wondered if something had happened at the shed. No sign of the cows at the moment.

"Writing is not enough!" He said firmly watching her reaction. "This plant is the heart of this milking processing."

"Yes, I know, I wrote that down. You said that earlier." She flipped through her notes, and found that statement. "Yup, you said that earlier."

"Yes, but you need to understand the basics of how this system works. And that means recognised the parts. You have written about them, but can you recognise anything?"

Flushed with embarrassment, she said, "Well I know what you are holding are teats. You attached that to..." She had been reading about this system, so that she could ask him about things she could not fathom out.

"Most kids would recognised that!" Gray snorted and folded his arm. "Have you looked at the teats properly?" She shook her head. Why? You just have to attach that to the udders. He used his head to point out the teat and liners. "Noted the teat cup's liner?" She shook her head. "Well, I suggest you look at what I am talking about. I am sure, you can multitask, as a doctor, you can review and make notes if necessary."

So she did what he wanted. But it felt uncomfortable. And she was sure she had missed points, and she doubt that she would recognised the parts tomorrow! She needed another strategy, she thought as she followed him out of the shed.

The next day she brought her phone.

"Do you mind if I record this?"

"Record." He frowned. Was she hoping to catch him, trip him, would claim he was wrong about something he told her and had proof of it. "You want to record?" He folded his arms. "Why?"

"Well, you were right yesterday!" She said frankly. He nearly smiled. She looked so earnest. She continued, "I need to watch you. You were right. And I learnt that writing doesn't do the job for me in terms of reviewing at a later time! But I don't have a good memory!" Gray thought that was not true. As a doctor she definitely has a good memory given how much information they had to store in their brains during their training. Regan continued, "So I thought, if I could record you, that way I would have your, er, lessons at hand and I can review it later, and even check if I am doing it right when you leave."