Chapter 2 - Lads & Liv

After a morning of Harrison showing me where all the equipment was, although to tell the truth, I already knew, and then inhailing my lunch, I was ready to hit the beach and be assigned a post with one of the boys!

"Ready to go Liv?" Haynes called Into the tower as Harrison handed me a first aid bum bag which had Olivia printed nicely on the front and my radio.

"As I'll ever be!" I chimed feeling a lot more confident, it was nice to know that Harrison was one recently a trainee so he knew how I felt.

"Alright then Liv, I'll hop in the buggy with you and take you down to Kids corner with Kert and Luke, Harrison you can head to the South side".

"Awesome, see you later on!" Harrison smiled and waved before disappearing out of the door, down the steps and he was gone.

"Nice lad that one" Haynes smiled and winked as he lead me to the door.

"I'm really not interested in that Haynes" I laughed back.

"Oh really? Well that's fair enough" he chuckled as we reached the bottom of the stairs and hopped into the buggy.

"Now I understand you know Kert, Lukes a nice fella, just don't get on his bad side. Us guys can take it, but I know he wouldn't be afraid to take on a woman"

"Oh great" I mumbled, the thought of working with Luke now made me feel nervous, at least I had Kert there if I needed him. Then again, if he liked a challenge you best believe I was going to give him one if necessary. As we pulled up beside the two and climbed out of the buggy, Kart pulled me into a brief hug and smiled.

"Feeling settled in now? You've only got another 5 hours till the day ends and you collapse on your bed at home so don't worry, we'll get you through" Kert laughed and Haynes laughed with him, Luke just stared at me.

I'll admit, he did scare me slightly. Not in a 'I'm terrified' way, as in 'You're insanely handsome but also look incredibly intimidating and I don't know if we'll get along' way.

"Hey, Luke right?" I smiled shyly taking the opportunity to introduce myself to him whilst Kert and Haynes had a discussion. I put my hand out for him to shake it but instead he just looked at my hand and then at me.

"Yeah, you're Liv, all wonderful and new. I know who you are no stress." he spoke bluntly before turning his attention to the sea.

"Beautiful day isn't it?" I mumbled trying to make conversation, dragging my right toe through the sand in front of me, he was hard work. Haynes had said he was but I didn't realise he was THIS hard work. Challenge accepted

"Yeah, too hot though" He sighed, hard.

"Do you not like it?"

"I do, don't get me wrong. I'd just rather be laying in it getting a tan than working" he shrugged.

"Yeah I can definitely relate to that" I grinned also turning to look out to sea. Kert returned to our conversation. "So I see you two have met?".

"Yeah if that's what you want to call it" I scoffed nudging Kert playfully.

I looked Lukes way to see him giving me the dirtiest look I'd seen since high school from the bitchiest group of girls.

"Now, now Luke lighten up! It's her first day cut her some slack!" Kert chortled.

"Ugh whatever, as long as she does the job I don't care" he huffed crossing his arms and looking back out to sea.

"Just ignore him" Kert whispered.

"I'll ignore you right back" he chimed not even turning his head to signify he could hear us, Kert and I just sniggered behind him.

"Come on then Kiddo, let's get to work"

********

The last two hours of the day flew by, so much so that I felt like I hadn't even done two hours work, so when we all congregated back in the tower after shutting up shop I realise just how tired I was.

"Good day today lads, and Liv. Only a few majors, lots of things prevented! You guys did a good job, and Liv for your first day I'm impressed!"

I blushed and smiled as I bowed my head and then looked up at everyone, I looked over to Harrison and he have me a sarcastic clap and scoffed.

"Fuck off you" I whispered laughing showing him my middle finger, small sniggers around me.

"Now the big question is, who's placing bets I'll win tomorrow's Lifeguard Annual race?" Haynes scoffed and he flexed his muscles as everyone laughed.

"Very funny Haynes but we all know Deano will win" Jackson piped up pointing to Deano who then ALSO piped up, and slowly but surly the tower was an echo of shouting and laughing men betting about tomorrow. Suddenly Haynes put his hand up and the room was silenced.

"Liv, are you taking part?"

"If I can?  Yeah, I mean I'm one of you guys now, nearly, so hell yeah!" I didn't let on to the fact is been training insanely hard these past few months for this moment.

"Awesome, good effort!"

"I bet Liv wins" Harrison piped up.

"Nah I won't be defeated by a girl" Luke shrugged.

"Wanna bet?" I challenged Luke as he scowled.

"We know I'll win, so save your breath" he spat standing up and walking to the door

"Whatever you say!" I smiled and waved as he walked away, the chatter resumed as Haynes declared the day over.

*********

"How was your first day then champ?" My dad smiled pulling me into him and placing his arm around my shoulder as we walked to the car.

"Really great actually, this is going to be the best"

"Looking forward to the lifeguard Challenge tomorrow?"

"Yeah, and I'm going to beat Luke, I kinda have to now" I laughed as we reached the car.

"Bring it on then!" My dad fist bumped me before we both climbed into the car.

Bring it on tomorrow indeed, for a Rookie, I was feeling victorious already