Chapter 13 - The Start Of Something New

As they wheeled me into rehab I felt frustrated, I didn't want to be here, I wanted to be with my dad, the boys, at work or near the beach. Not in a rehab facility for the bruised, broken and mentally unstable, I felt labelled and judged even though these people were here to help me. 

It made me feel worse, it was demoralising. But I know I'm here to get better.

"Here is your room!" The lady who wheeled me down from reception smiled as the room stood before me. It was a single bed and a desk with a lamp & a cactus to try and create some decoration for the already bland room. As I looked around in my chair that I hated, I sighed.

"You can decorate it if you're disappointed?"

"I'm here for 3 weeks," I groaned wheeling myself towards my bed, "there's no point".

I used my arms and what little strength I had in my legs to pull myself up onto the bed, which was surprisingly comfortable. As I wriggled and fussed the nurse came to my side with a concerned look on her face.

"Do you need a hand?" She asked looking at me sympathetically.

"Yes, I need a hand crawling up a bed, because I'm struggling I can't do anything on my own, In fact, you can lift me and do it for me and even tuck me in and read me a story if you like?" I spat as I held myself up on my forearms.

The nurses lips curled into a straight line and then into a frown as she told a step back from the bed, clearing her throat, obviously wounded from my angry outburst.

"We are not your worst enemy here, Olivia, we are here to help, a no thank you would've been much gentler, if we're going to have problems please, let me know" she muttered to me under her breath with a bitterness in her eyes.

The silence between us outstretched for much longer than it should've done before she showed herself the door. I fell backward into the sheets and groaned outwardly, I shouldn't have been such an ass, but I didn't want to be here. This place wasn't for me, not at all.

3 weeks Liv, just 3 more weeks.

*********

The next few days dragged by, I spent most of my time laying in bed reading, sulking, dreaming of the wild wind of the beach and waves crashing around me.

But no, instead I was being helped out of bed twice a day and made to walk around the ward for an hour each day, and I hate to admit it but it did feel like it was getting easier, but like I said, I'd hate to admit that outwardly. What I had noticed was that every time I went for a little wonder in my crutches, a nurse following closely behind just incase I fell, was a young lad.

He watched me contently, always sat in the same chair with a book, a somber chill look on his face, he didn't smile at me, but then when did I ever smile in here unless I wanted something from the nurses.  He had a mop of curls on his head and piercing blue eyes that reminded me of the waves of sea, I almost felt nostalgic even though I'd been here 3 days.

He appeared tall, but I hadn't actually see him stand, and his shoulders were broad and his general features stood out quite prominently, he was very attractive, but he also looked arrogant, so the chances are he bloody well knew it. 

*****

Day 4 was drawing to a close, dinner was done, and yet again I was in bed reading a book with nothing better to do other than that and sleep. I fought back the droop of my eyelids, forcing myself to stay up later although it was already 11pm and most the ward was asleep.

I left my door open at night, I figured if I did it at home I could do it here, no one walks around at this time anyway, or so I thought. I heard the rhythmic patter of feet trying ever so quietly to wonder down the hall, I sat up and listened, they must've known I was awake because the light from my lamp was shining through the door.

After listening for 5 minutes and hearing nothing more I relaxed back into my pillow, just about ready to doze off.

"May I come in?" A deep voice mumbled, his voice echoed off my walls as I flung myself upwards and nearly out of my bed in shock.

"Who are you?" I hissed as the curly haired mop came out from the darkness of the doorframe and wondered into my room.

"Oh, it's you" I sighed with relief, and my slightly patronising tone of voice made his face contort, I was just glad it was him and not someone else.

"You don't seem to pleased about that?" He smirked leaning against the wall.

"There's a chair right there" I mumbled tiredly gesturing towards the small armchair in the corner.

"Well, thanks" his voice was monotone, and as he sat he didn't take his eyes off me, the silence around me made me feel as if the room was 10 times bigger than it actually was. I could've shouted and my words would've bounced back like shouting into the Grand Canyon.

"So, what's your story?" He finally asked shattering the silence and bringing me back to earth

"Me?"

"No, the other girl in the room" he mumbled sarcastically grinning, but I didn't smile, I didn't even react, was he trying to be funny?

"Was that a joke?" I raised my eyebrows straight faced.

"Yes, well, an attempt at one, as I've established your sense of humour is bland like I thought, am I right?"  He crossed his arms smugly.

"No, it's just 11pm, so I'm not really in the mood for jokes" I scoffed as he watched me.

"So are you going to tell me?" He too raised his eyebrows at me, touché.

"Tell you wha- oh, uh, my legs, I need rehabilitation so I can walk properly again, and it's going pretty well, how about you?" I felt a little hesitant talking to this stranger, but by his presence in my room I assumed he wasn't going to be a stranger for long.

"Mental breakdown after my girlfriend left me, cheated on me, bit of a rollercoaster! I'm trying to make friends, my anxiety is through the roof, I guess you could say this is me making a serious start at it" he laughed and shrugged, I smiled slightly before it vanished of my face.

"I'm sorry to hear that, sometimes not everything works out the way you'd hoped, but it makes room for better things in life" words from my mother, I smiled slightly as his lips turned upwards

"Jasper" he grinned holding out his hand outstretched towards me.

"Olivia" I hesitantly took and shook his hand, a strong handshake at that too.

"Nice to meet you Olivia, and thank you for talking to me, not many people give a second glance, they say I'm not very approachable, a little too, nervous".

"No thank you, I mean you did just barge in so I didn't really have a choice" we both shrugged laughing, "Your mysterious watching me whenever I walk was driving me insane, I'm glad I know you a little better now" I laughed, for a brief second it was genuine.

He too sat back in his chair and relaxed, laughing slightly,

"Are you really anxious Jasper, You don't appear it?" I furrowed my brow whilst looking at him.

"It's the build up that catches me, I can never get the courage to talk to people and then it throws me off, and then I lose it and curl up into myself. So it's been nice to have the courage to speak with you".

"Well I'm glad you could with me" I felt suddenly happy and sympathetic, he chose to talk to me and I'm glad of that. I was beginning to get too lonely.

"Yeah well, watching you, you were different, I could see it"

I looking down at my twiddling fingers and smiled to myself, then I looked up at Jasper who was smiling back. Little did he and I know, this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.