Chapter 1 - One Day, First Day

I've always had a dream that I would one day be a Beach lifeguard, ever since I was little till now, I mean what more can a 22 year old want? I've been brought up on the beach in Hawaii, born and Bred, my football training is even placed on the beach from time to time to make it tougher for us on the sand.

I can swim, I can run, I can surf so it means I can sure as hell paddle on those rescue boards and I definitely feel like I'm ready. I feel like I've been in training in my life with the advantage of my dad. Hopefully he'll agree.

********

"How you feeling Liv? Nervous?" My dad, Ricci, smiled at me as we climbed out the car, I slammed the door shut and just grinned.

"I'd be lying to you if I told you I was fine and dandy" I laughed as I flipped my wetsuit over my shoulder and my backpack over my other.

"It's always normal to be nervous on your first day Liv I wouldn't worry too much, Haynes will assign someone to help you and show you where your locker is and also to show you the ropes! You won't be alone on here kiddo" he smiled again as we walked towards the lifeguard hut that overlooked the wonderful and picturesque Honolulu Beach. He ruffled my hair and then punched my arm when I didn't respond.

"Ow what was that for?!" I yelped rubbing my arm with a pout protruding from my face.

"Get used to it, Rookie"

"Rookie? Is that what they're going to call me?"

"Almost definitely!" Dad laughed clapping and then rubbing his hands together.

"I guess I can get used to that" I sighed, I felt my stomach flip as we reached the bottom of the stairs to the hut. Okay, so I was terrified. With each step my heart was in my throat, then my mouth, I thought I was going to be sick and I couldn't tell if it was with excitement or because I was so nervous I would rather be under my bed hiding right now.

"Hey boys!" My dad yelled as we walked Into the hut, and knocking me out of my gaze was the somewhat scary but comforting welcome.

"Ricci! How you doing buddy?" Luke smiled pulling dad into a hug and patting him on the back.

"Hey bud!" Jackson then chimed as he pushed past dumping his bag on the floor, he flashed a small smile in my direction and then ran up the stairs to join the boys in their little prep circle in the tower. I just stood in the doorframe unable to speak or move until I heard a gruff voice from behind me.

"Excuse me, you're in the way lovely!" I turned to see Haynes and Harrison waiting for me to move

"Oh, shit I'm sorry".

"It's cool" Harrison smiled before brushing past and disappearing into the hut. Haynes stopped to look me up and down and then smiled, putting out his hand to shake it.

"You must be Olivia Yates, am I right?"

"Indeed you are" I smiled sheepishly as I shook his hand.

"Great! Are your nervous? I'm guessing that's a silly question, Is your dad around? Just walk up those 3 steps and find a gap where you can, I'll introduce you when we start our briefing and assign you a guard!"

"Uh, okay" I hesitated as Haynes made his way in. I looked the the steps and then up towards where the 5 or so lifeguards, not including my dad or Haynes had congregated and took a deep breath.

"Here goes"

I walked up the steps and when I reached the top it went quiet, I felt intimidated instantly especially being the only girl, so I found a free spot to lean and did, placing my bags around me. Every eye was on me, still, so I showed a small smile and held my hands together in my lap and put my head down, twiddling my fingers. I'd broken into a sweat. When the talk resumed and the attention was off me I decided to take a look around.