Chapter 13

Hero's POV:
"You are ruining the evening with this solemn silence." I joke.
"I am not. Stop it." she chuckles and pushes me with her shoulder.
"Sure..." I say.

I'm kinda curious about how her working life goes. There are those who get tired of being an actor after a while. Josephine is like me though...she's in love with her career. I don't think she would ever leave a job like this.

"Do you have any new projects" I ask her.
"I have a new project actually...a new movie." she mumbles, proudly.
"Nice! Tell me about it."
"The plot talks about an girl who intended to commit suicide and prepares a list of things to do before she dies.."
"It's kinda sad.." I interrupt her.
"Yeah, but...surprise: while trying to achieve all the items on the list, she rediscovers the pleasure of living, of love and family. I loved the plot to be honest."
"Fuck, it's amazing. I can't wait to see you on the big screen." I say honestly, and look at her.
"Really?"
She looks down smiling, like she always does when she is embarrassed.

I perceive again a certain tension between us.

"Really." I stop in the middle of the sidewalk, just in front of her.
"Are you trying to let me notice the height difference?" Jo murmurs smiling warmly.

I'm about to answer when an elderly couple
pass next to us, slowly.
They both have a stick and barely stand. Their old age is evident, but it doesn't seem to be counting when they look into each others eyes, wise eyes, of those who have really lived. She leans her head on his shoulder and he puts his head on hers. I almost get cry by just looking at them.
My head is vague and I imagine that perhaps they've known each other many years ago, that they have passed wars, distances, fights. I guess at the end they finally had their chance to be happy, together.

Will I also have this chance? And above all, will I be able to age next to this crazy blonde girl with deep eyes?

The elderly couple moves away from our visuals and I go back to place my eyes on Josephine.

I put an hand on her cheek. She doesn't take it away, and holds the sleeve of the jacket.
I try to see us from outside: two hindered lovers, who just want to be one thing with each other. It's a bit like in all the love stories, but this is such a strong feeling that you can't label it.

I know it's real, I know she feels that too.

"Can I kiss you?".
Her sweet words fill my soul unexpectedly.