chapter thirty-six

Tala. 390 days before the Battle of Hogwarts.

Today, Draco wept silently as he held a lifeless bird in his hand.

      Today a little bird fell lifeless due to my own hands. I couldn't get angry, I stayed stood and wept. I thought over how fragile it was, fragile like I am. Though like a bird, I wish to fly away whenever and wherever I pleased. To be free of a cage that is this life.

D.M.

And so I blew him an enchanted paper crane to show that even with death, life continues to bloom.

After I confronted him about the Vanishing Cabinet, he never told me what it was for or why he had been trying to fix it.

       I don't think Draco ever will.

But I didn't push it because I already knew.

     And even though he was scared to tell me, the reason didn't scare me at all.

I kept him company in the Room of Requirement everyday since. I would just sit on a nearby chair, listening to my walkman and reading a book with the bookmark Hermione gave me as he tried to fix the cabinet.

     Today was the first time he had attempted putting a living being in it, but it failed all the same.

"We'll bury it," I said softly, cupping his hands in mine and let the lifeless bird fall into my hold.    

And I just watched it lay still as its heart no longer beated.

     Just like the three hearts that no longer beat because of me.

     That's why I could never judge Draco for his mission.

     And so soon enough, the number of heartbeats that no longer beat will multiply.

As we stood still in front of the cabinet, the paper crane continuing to fly happily around us. And so I gave Draco a light kiss on the cheek to tell him that it was all okay.

Trying to convince myself too.

      Today a little bird fell lifeless due to my own hands. I couldn't get angry, I stayed stood and wept as Tiny carried the weight for me. And as she buried the little bird in the rain kindly, I thought over how fragile it was, fragile like I am and unlike her. Though like a bird, I wish we could fly away whenever and wherever we pleased. Though Tala was right as she blew me an enchanted paper crane, she usually is.

    With death, life continues to bloom.

   I thought Tala's words and actions were beautiful.

   Just like her.

                                           D.M.

     Even my heart fluttered seeing my name written in Draco's journal entry that night.

     One simple act of kindness changed it drastically.

    And so I really was convinced that it would all be okay.

——————————— ✩———————————

"Where are we going!" I whispered hoarsely, getting tired as he dragged me across the dark castle and into the library.

"Shut up," Draco whispered, his long strides going faster, forcing me to run just to keep up with him.