chapter forty-eight

Tala. 70 days before the Battle of Hogwarts

"Avada Kedavra!"

Draco flinched.

As another innocent victim fell from the air and onto the drawing room's table at Voldemort's curse, the silence became deafening. I turned to Draco as he trembled at the Dark Lord's voice and watched his eyebrows furrow in fear. His face fell ill and uncomfortable, unlike the contented expressions I was used to seeing in our room together.

So as he flinched, I held his hand tighter with my newly banded hand under the tables. Signalling him quietly that it'll be okay, all as my heart kept a steady beat. Unfazed as more victims roamed through the manor's halls just to die.

As everyone left the room, I found myself staying. Draco had been summoned by his parents and I didn't have a reason to move at all. I just sat there and watched the poor girl's lifeless body, laying cold and stiff onto the table.

I stood up and reached over to tower her, her opened eyes left lifeless staring into mine. She was my age and was simply killed for being a blood traitor. It could've easily been me or Draco, so I felt no sympathy that it had been her instead.

"Better you die than I," I whispered to her.

"Tala." Snape said as he watched me close the girl's eyes with my newly banded hand.

"Yeah?" I asked, not looking up.

"It's time for another lesson." He said blankly.

"Alright," I said just as expressionless, following him out of the drawing room and into one of the manor's potion rooms. Draco and I go in them often to practice potions, I usually cheered him in the back and would praise him with compliments as he worked.

Ever since school went back into session at Hogwarts, Snape had become the Headmaster taking over Dumbledore's place, making him extremely busy and guarded. But every night, he still visits the manor just to teach me Legilimency and Occlumency, it felt like a parent taking time off of work just to spend time with their kids.

      In a way, I felt special.

From what I hear, the school isn't anything like how I used to know it. There were new teachers who used curses in lessons as both punishments and rewards, even having students practice on first years.

"Muffliato." I casted, making sure nobody in the vicinity would hear our conversation, adding an Imperturbable charm on the door for extra measures. 

I sighed. "Is there any news on Luna?"

"No," Snape said blankly. "Miss Lovegood is still missing."

Snape informed me that Luna went missing over christmas break, I tried finding out if Death Eaters were behind it but Draco didn't seem to know anything either. Luna, Neville, and Ginny had become the new leaders of the DA ever since Snape and the Carrows took over the school.

I made Snape promise me not to hurt them, but it seems like the three put up a bigger fight than I had hoped. Hermione, Ron, and Harry never returned back to school, and so when nobody's looking, I would fidget with the bookmark Hermione gave me. I was left hoping for any news, though it even seemed like Snape knew more than he was letting on.

"How about Neville?" I asked.

"Mr. Longbottom has gotten quite tough, he must get it from his parents."

I smiled lightly, "That's good, it doesn't surprise me. How about the trio?"

"No news," Snape said, making me frown. "No time for chats either, are you ready for your lesson?"

"I get that practice makes perfect and all," I protested. "But I think I've already mastered it pretty well."

"Yes, and you've also mastered your mother's conceitedness," Snape retorted. "Now, please."

I laughed lightly, "Fine."

For the next two hours, Snape would try to get into my mind and I would block it, switching around with me trying to get into his head. The migraines that came with the lessons became less painful, not hearing or seeing any of our haunting pasts anymore.

At first, I couldn't go to sleep without having nightmares or screams and cries of innocent victims echoing in my head. Over time, it got easier especially after getting used to torturing more people with Bellatrix even though I didn't want to. I just got used to it, like a routine.

I learned to be numb and I could only feel when I'm with Draco, when I'm thinking of my friends, or even when I'm with Snape. They were my anchor. I've learned that Snape and I more similar than I thought and for the past couple of months, I've grown attached.

"Here." Snape said, handing me a cup of water.

I looked up at him as sweat continued to drip down my temples, "Thanks." I said, taking it from him.

As I drank the water, Snape took off the enchantments I've put in the door to keep eavesdroppers out and got ready to leave for Hogwarts again.

"Watch over Neville." I reminded him, as he opened the door.

He only nodded his head in response, his face still expressionless.

"And um," I trailed off as I fidgeted with the cup. "Thanks Da-Snape," I said awkwardly, catching myself. "Uh, goodnight."

He didn't say anything again, only a small curve appearing on his lips as he finally left.

I walked back to Draco's room and took a shower alone, playfully whipping him with my wet hair like I always did afterwards, causing him to chase me around the room. Once it dried, he played with my hair and braided a few strands for fun, muttering to himself how something could be so soft.

      "Wash my hair for me again tomorrow," Draco asked innocently.

"Sure," I said as he continued to run his fingers through my hair.

      "How was your day?" I asked wholesomely.

"Oh you know, torturing people like usual." He said sarcastically with a frown on his face.

I laughed lightly as I kissed him on the cheek, telling him that it'll be okay. Even after months of living this lifestyle, Draco still gets scared everyday. But we always look forward to little moments together, including every night where we'd just fall asleep in each other's arms.

Pretending like the whole word wasn't burning as we speak.