chapter fifty-seven

Tala. The Battle of Hogwarts.

The silence that creeped over the entire castle was louder than a single drop of blood that had been spilled on concrete.

There weren't any spells that were being thrown, no shouts or cries, just stillness that I would've rather had replaced with war.

I don't know how long Draco and I had been standing in the entrance hall with our hands held together, hours could've passed or even days and we wouldn't have noticed.

Finally, he led me with a single step telling me that it was okay. We entered the Great Hall and my heart was beating faster as I took a step deeper.

The house tables were no longer there and the room was crowded, with the stone ground and flags that hung on the ceilings stained with blood.

There were groups of survivors that huddled together, being cared for by Madam Pomfrey and some student helpers. My stomach faltered painfully as I saw at least fifty bodies lying dead on the cold ground, and my heart ached knowing Fred and Luna could've been one of them.

The Weasley family were huddled around like a cattle, chatting with each other as they were all relieved that everyone in the family was okay. Hermione was by Ron's side and Draco signalled me to walk over to them with a nod. And I let go of his hand as he watched me talk to them.

Ron had pulled me into a tight hug, thanking me for being a part of his life and saving his brother. My eyebrows pulled in at his words and I ruffled his hair messily, just like how I always did when he was being silly. I hugged him tightly as I motioned Hermione to join in, feeling grateful that they were both okay.

      Every Weasley in the room began to hug me tightly, even Ginny. And I felt my heart get pulled, knowing one decision made such a huge difference. I felt so overwhelmed that I started crying into Ronnie's chest, feeling terrible about myself as he hugged me and asked what's wrong. I've made the wrong choice so many times before making this right one, I didn't deserve their praises.

      "You must definitely join us for the holidays or I'll steal you myself!" Molly sniffled, unable to stop crying from the moment Fred told her what happened.

      Fred stole me from Ron and pulled me into a tight hug once more and spun me around as he lifted me into the air, seeing I was crying and making me giggle.

      "Tiny pretty lady will become Tala Weasley in the future," Fred said half jokingly-half serious as he kissed me multiple times on the cheek. "Doesn't it have a nice ring to it Georgie?"

      Before George could answer, Draco had already stomped to our direction at the sight of Fred kissing my cheek. He pulled me away from Fred's grasps and held me by my waist tightly, his eyebrows furrowed and eyes narrowed at Fred.

      His jaw was clenched as his Adam's Apple grew visible from gulping, his free hand forming a dangerous fist.

      He looked scary.

      I liked it.

      I pulled on his black suit, shaking my head to order him not to hurt Fred. I didn't save him just for Draco to end up killing him. I chuckled at the thought, finding his jealousy amusing. I swear you could see smoke come out of his ears and nostrils as his face flustered red.

      Draco's face softened at my hurt expression, loosening up before regaining his composure and turning back to Fred again, who found this as amusing as I did even though he looked a little scared himself.

      "Sorry mate," Draco said bitterly. "This tiny pretty lady is taken." He said proudly and boldly, pulling on my waist to get closer to him.

      "What a shame," Fred sighed. "I've spent over a year crushing over you, I didn't know you were with a Malfoy!" He said to me, surprised as everyone else who just heard.

      I smiled innocently in response as I wiped my cheeks, making Fred pout at me jokingly.

     "Well," Fred sighed again. "You better take care of her, I'll be ready on the sidelines anytime." Fred took his hand out for Draco to take.

      Draco was hesitant at first, but he shook Fred's hand before smugly saying, "Don't even bet on having a chance."

      Draco took me away from the Weasleys, grumbling to himself about Fred's actions. I kissed him on the cheek, telling him I was proud of him and  told him I was thankful for not beating Fred to a pulp.

I left Draco for a moment again as I found Luna and Neville. I cupped their faces and kissed their heads, telling them that it would be over soon. Looking at them made me feel terrible about myself again, I've lied so much and had been so deceitful just so I could protect myself.

I walked back towards Draco as he watched me be so overwhelmed, and so he hugged me tightly and kissed my forehead, letting me know it was okay.

We spent the hour by each other's side, helping tend to survivors as Draco brewed healing potions with Madam Pomfrey, and I took them and treated people's wounds. I took pieces of fabric and sewed them together, creating arm slings for people who needed them.

The hour went by slowly, everyone dazed and tranced as they cared for others. Everyone in the room lost at least one person, and that was a type of pain I had never experienced.

      My one person was Harry.

It was quiet, but you could hear sounds of people struggling with the knots in their throats, pushing the urge not to cry and disturb the silence.

I wasn't sure how long had passed, it was near dawn and at the end of twilight. It reminded me of the day Draco had promised a life with me, and so I glanced down at the ring he gave me as I continued to sew, admiring him as he worked hard to help others.

He was sweating even though the chillness of it all had cooled us, and he was shaking as he brewed the potions. Probably nervous of what everyone in the room was thinking of him, a son of Death Eaters that suddenly turned good.

And so I stood up and snuck behind him, wrapping my arms around his body and resting my head on his back. I heard his heartbeats grow steadier at my touch, and I smiled lightly knowing that he was okay. We didn't say a word, we just knew.

The peace came to an end when everyone felt hundreds of footsteps rumble towards the castle. And whispers and gasps had escaped everyone's lips, seeing the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters marching towards us. There were laughter and cheers that came from their side, one with a painful cackle that was too easy to recognize.

Everyone hesitated, but stood up and took slow steps outside of the Great Hall and out to the courtyards. Draco and I held each other's hands, giving each other a reassuring squeeze with each step we took.

The Dark Lord stood before us with his Death Eaters behind him and Nagini by his side. Hagrid stepped forward carrying someone in his arms, someone that I should've hugged for longer.

A deadly silence fell on everyone as we watched them, as if one move or sound from our side was enough to cost us our lives.

"Who..." Ginny stuttered shakily, "Who is that? In Hagrid's...Who is that in Hagrid's arms?"

"HARRY POTTER IS DEAD!" The Dark Lord cheered, causing a roar on his side.

I felt my heart sink at that.