chapter three

Tala. 608 days before the Battle of Hogwarts.

Our walk was silent and it felt like hours had passed by. We walked through many long hallways, rooms, and staircases, not knowing where he was even taking me. All I could think about was how weird and real everything felt.

How did he even know the fake backstory that I had made up for myself?

Lost in my thought, I didn't even notice when he stopped walking, causing me to bump into him.

"Sorry." I said awkwardly, only earning a sympathetic smile from him.

We stopped in front of a gargoyle statue and the Headmaster gestured me to take a step back, and so I did.

"Acid Pops." He said.

The gargoyle began to spin upwards, revealing a staircase that we both stepped into. When we reached the top of the tower, he led me into a circular room where the walls were nearly just windows or living portraits. It was now very late at night as he sat down at his desk, waiting for me to take everything in.

"So, Miss Blackwell. How are you feeling?"

"Honestly?" I said blankly as I stared at him and tilted my head.

He nodded reassuringly and seeing as this was a dream, there was no harm in spilling everything out.

"Well — first thing I knew I was on a bridge on my way to work, then this white kid with blonde hair nearly jumped and offed himself!" I exclaimed as I paced around, bringing my fingers to my temples then down to my lips as I tapped it.

"Then, I tried to save him by holding him up by his arm, but then we both ended up falling," I continued before turning to him. "Sucks, right?"

"Then boom!" I made explosions with my hands. "I was suddenly in like, the back of a train with owls flapping their feathers on me — cats trying to kill me, and oh! — the frogs didn't even care!"

"And I was soaking wet even though I don't remember falling into the water at all and it ended up ruining my walkman!" I threw my arms up.

"I saw the guy again but then he didn't even recognize me so I just left like — fine! Whatever! And went into the castle like everyone else, thinking I was in a cult at first, but — I was really hungry so I took the risk," I kept babbling. "And now I'm here with you."

I finished explaining, nearly out of breath.

"Oh! And don't even get me started with the sticks! Or — wands, whatever. And why is everyone british?" I scoffed in wonder. "Now I'm seeing ghosts and moving pictures and talking hats — people casting spells." I added, forming my fingers in quotations.

"I mean like, I'm dreaming — right?"

The Headmaster did and said nothing but laugh, finding my explanation amusing.

"Tell me Miss Blackwell, how is a Muggle," he paused. "Or in your case, a No-Maj able to see Hogwarts at all?"

"If you truly were one, all you would see are empty castle ruins." He said, but it seemed like he already knew the answer and just wanted to bait me.

"There's that word again!" I said. "Muggle. What does it mean?" I replied, ignoring his question.

"Why, it means non-magical people of course," he told me. "And it seems as though you are not one."

I rolled my eyes. "Alright — say I can do magic and stuff, but how did I even get here? I mean — the guy I was with wasn't back with me on the train. And when I confronted him again, he acted like he didn't know me at all."