Chapter Eighty-Eight: Yer So Soft!

Idek if I've used these pictures before

I've just

Run out

~~~

August 19, 1967

"Hello?" I looked up from my cereal and saw John standing by the couch holding the phone up to his ear. I took another bite and kept my eyes on him, watching to see if I could read his expression.

Suddenly, he smiled. "Hey, Ringo," he said and flashed a grin at me. I perked up. He stopped to listen to Ringo speak, then his grin spread even wider. "Really? That's awesome! When can we see the little man?" John teased.

"Well, isn't that just delightful? We're looking forward to meeting him." He paused. "Yeah, what's that you say when someone has a baby? Oh, right, congratulations, man...yes, alright...I look forward to it...going already?...oh, fine. Bye-bye now!" John hung up the phone. "The lovely Jason Starkey has been brought into this world," John announced dramatically, returning his attention to me.

I smiled. "That's great," I responded, looking back down to take another bite of my food.

"That's all you have to say?" John asked, pretending to be offended.

"Shut up. I can't function until I eat. You know that."

"Oh, I'm only teasing!" he said, raising his hands above his head in surrender as he slipped back onto a chair so he could resume his breakfast. "I know you're hungry."

"God, and I want some more chocolate." I sighed. "I'm gonna look like a whale even when these babies are born."

"Oh, shove it. You know that's not right." He looked up with a smirk etched into his face. "That being said, are you out of that chocolatey treat that you love so much?"

I blushed. Then, I nodded. "I am," I admitted.

"Well, perhaps I can help with that." He grinned and took a sip of the milk in his cup.

I rolled my eyes. "You don't have to do that," I responded, taking yet another bite of my food. "It's highly unnecessary, and quite frankly, I don't think it is needed in the slightest."

John frowned. "Come on, my love. Let me pamper you and make you feel good," he whined.

"You know, it's so hard to be upset with you when you're that sweet."

He broke into a wide, toothy grin. "Really?"

I smiled sarcastically. "Yes, really."

"Aww," he said. Then, he frowned. "I can't believe you're letting me run off to Wales three weeks before our first children are born."

I cocked an eyebrow. "I thought we'd already had this argument?" I asked.

"Oh, I'll keep arguing until the day I get back."

"Oh, come on, John. I know you're excited to do it. Don't try and tell me otherwise. I'm just trying to make you happy!"

His lips widened into another dopey grin. "I know you are, and now I'm trying to do the same. Then, we'll be even!"

I sighed. "God, you're persistent."

"Don't you like it? I'm always ready to make you happy!"

I smiled. "Yes, I love it."

"Aww, yer so soft!" He returned his attention to his food.

"Hey, John, guess what?" I quipped, causing him to look back up with an inquisitively raised eyebrow. "I love you!" I said enthusiastically.