Chapter Sixty-Eight: I'd Love to Turn You On (Too Racy For You?)

May 24, 1967

I woke up the the ringing of a phone somewhere downstairs. I groaned and rolled over, not happy with the disturbance.

"It's okay, love," I heard John tell me groggily. "Go back to sleep. I'll get it." I felt his lips brush against my cheek and then I closed my eyes back, thankful that our curtains were so thick that they blocked out any light that could possibly dream of coming in.

Just as I was beginning to nod off again, I heard John re-enter our bedroom. He came over to the side of the bed where my head was laying and bent down to tell me something. "That was Brian. He said he wants us at EMI in an hour."

"Really?"

"Hey, how about you stay here? It's still early. Sleep in a little bit. It won't bother me."

"Are you sure?" I asked him sleepily.

He nodded. "I'll bring you back breakfast even. I shouldn't be gone too long."

I smiled at him. "You're so nice, John," I said to him.

"Anything for you, my dear," he said teasingly. He leaned over to kiss me. "I'll see you later."

"See you later," I responded before curling back up under the covers. Less than two minutes later, I was fast asleep again.

~~~

When my eyes fluttered open again, I had a clear view of the clock on my nightstand that read 10:00. Feeling fully rested, I stretched out and then sat up. I had no idea what time it had been when John left that morning, so I had no idea how long it had been since then.

I got up out of the bed and rubbed my eyes, stretched my back out again, and then began my journey downstairs. Before I left the room, I made the decision to look out the window to see if I could see John's car in the driveway. Unfortunately, it was hard to get a good look at the driveway, so I eventually gave up.

After slowly making my way down the stairs, I was greeted in the foyer by Boots. When the cat saw me, he came straight towards me, so I bent down to stroke him on the head.

"Donna, love, you up?" I heard John ask from the living room and I smiled.

I straightened back up and waddled my way over to the living room. I found John sitting on the couch. He looked slightly upset about something, but there was a smile on his face. I watched as he stood up and went over to the counter and picked up a flat, white box.

"I got doughnuts," he sang tauntingly.

"You did?" I asked, my voice sounding excited.

He chuckled. "Yes, I did. Come here, I was waiting for you to get up to have any of them."

He took the box and sat down at the kitchen table, gesturing for me to join him. I took the seat in front of him, my stomach growling when I caught a whiff of the food in front of me.

John laughed again. "You hungry?" he asked.

I nodded eagerly. "Terribly."

"Well, here you go," he quipped, sliding the box between us and lifting the lid. "They're from the place by the apartments we used to live in."

I looked at him, impressed. "Really? We haven't been there in forever."

"I know. I figured you'd like it."

I took a bite of one of the doughnuts, nodding in approval when John gave me an imploring look. "You did good," I complimented.

"Brilliant," he responded, taking one of the treats for himself.