Chapter Fifty-Eight: Memory Lane

April 14, 1967

"Thank you for the dinner, Mimi," John said, sitting his fork aside and leaning back in the dining chair.

I finished the last bite of my food and then nodded along. "It was very good."

Mimi smiled at us. "Anytime. And while you're here and we aren't doing anything, I've got some things I'd like to give you."

"You do?" asked John, looking perplexed at the idea.

"I do." She stood you from her spot at the table and took her plate over to leave it in the sink before leaving the room.

I took John's plate from him and stacked it on mine to take it over to the sink as well. As I retook my seat at the table, Mimi returned too, carrying a box with her.

John and I looked at the box curiously, both wondering what could possibly be in it. We both stood up as Mimi pulled the top open to reveal some blankets and other things neatly sorted inside.

"It's some of John's things from when he was little. I kept them in hopes that they could be passed down," she explained fondly.

John reached into the box and pulled out a small teddy bear. "Hey, I remember this!" he said with a childish grin plastered across his face.

"You wouldn't leave home without that bloody bear," Mimi said with a laugh.

"Thank you, Mimi," John said to her, sifting through something of the other things stored in the box.

"Well, there's nothing I could do with them," she replied with a laugh. "They're yours anyways."

John pulled out a pale blue blanket with the word Lennon embroidered on it, followed by a pale pink one with the word Stanley on it. John studied the name with content in his eyes.

"She wanted you to have one just like hers," Mimi said. "Wouldn't shut up about it until she found one. Then, when she did, all you wanted was hers!"

John smiled at the memory of his mother. Then, he carefully folded the small blankets back up and stored them neatly in the box again.

"Thanks again, Mimi," he said, going over to suffocate her in a hug.

"You're welcome, John," she responded, accepting her nephew's embrace heartily.

When John pulled away, he hesitated a moment before speaking again. "We picked names," he said nervously, darting his eyes towards me to see if I'd slap him. As nervous as the announcement made me, I smiled.

Mimi looked delighted. Her features lit up at the statement.

"We decided on Julia and Joseph," he announced proudly. "Julia Elizabeth and Joseph Brian."

Mimi smiled broadly. "I love them," she said and I let out a breath of relief that I didn't even know I'd been holding."

Wordlessly afterward, she went to hug me, and I accepted the action gratefully. "Thank you so much," I said to her.

She pulled me back so that she could look me in the eye. "You're so welcome, love," she responded. "And if there's anything you ever need, you know where to find me. Just give me a call."

"I will," I responded.

"I know how these boys can be. They don't always know how to help."

John frowned at her and we laughed at him when he spoke. "I'm right here, you know," he said, acting offended by the statement.

"Thank you," I repeated for about the hundredth time in the last two minutes.

"And, like I said, you're welcome."

"Now, we must be on our way," said John from behind me, his hands in his pockets and a smile on his lips.

"Of course. You've got a drive ahead of you tomorrow. Goodnight, you two, and have a safe trip home. Love you!" John took the box of baby stuff in his arms and called an, "I love you," to Mimi before leading me out of the house.

John led me back across the street in silence, and it was clear that something was on his mind. I allowed him time to himself until we made it back to the house and he still hadn't spoken.

"You're being quiet," I noted. "What's wrong?"

"Just thinking," he tutted.

"Yeah?" I responded. "About what?"

"W-why does it matter?" He blushed and sat the box down on the floor by the door. Boots scuttled up to examine it a moment before prancing off into the living room and situating himself on a chair.

"Okay, now you're scaring me. You're acting like you've done something bad."

"I haven't. I'm just—I wanna help you in every way I can," he said.

"Right," I said carefully.

"But what Mimi said got me thinking. What if there's anything I can't help you with?" When I didn't respond, he blushed a deeper shade of red. "It's silly, I know. I'm sorry."

"No, no," I said quickly, moving so that I could pat down a strand of his hair that had gone rogue. Then, I rested my arms around his shoulders and kissed him on the lips. "John, you're the most helpful out of anyone."

He smiled and I felt his arms close around my waist. "Can I kiss you again?" he asked, backing me up so that I was pressed lightly up against the wall, but being mindful of my baby bump.

"Why, of course you can," I responded.

"You're so beautiful, you know that?" he hummed as he pulled away again, practically leaving me crying for more. I wanted him, and only him. He knew that. He was simply making the feeling last. He was good at that.

"I don't think so," I responded cheekily.

"Oh, but you are. So, so breathtakingly gorgeous. Sends shivers down my spine," he leaned down and whispered, coincidentally sending shivers down my spine.

When I shuddered, I felt him smile against my neck. "Still works. Just like a charm," he hissed.

~~~

"How about we have one more Liverpool adventure before we head on home? Your appointment is on Monday. We can get home just a little late."

"Where could you possibly want to go?" I asked John with a laugh. We'd had another late morning—perhaps about our third in a row. It was noon now.

"I thought we could go down to the cinema," she said with a childlike grin. "It's been forever since we've done that. What better time to do it while we're here?" He clapped his hands together, clearly pleaded with his idea.

I laughed, and gave in. He had a point. We really weren't in any rush. We could get home at midnight for all I cared. We didn't have anywhere to be tomorrow anyways.

"Oh, alright," I said with a laugh.

He smiled broadly. "They're having a special showing of The Phantom Planet!" he burst out before laughing loudly.

I shook my head in disbelief. "Of course, they are," I said, rolling my eyes. He stood up and came to kiss me on the cheek. "Julia and Joseph are going to be watching this movie from the moment they're born."

"Not if I have something to say about it," I quipped.

He smiled and bent down to kiss me again, this time on the lips. "Right, okay."