Chapter Seventy-Five: Oh, I Know...I'm a Master!

Here we are bois🥴

June 20, 1967

We insisted that Trixie and Seamus stayed at our house that night, but they kept saying they didn't want to get in our way. In the end, we lost and they went to stay with Seamus's parents.

All day, my aching back had slowly been getting worse. By now, it was becoming hard to stand straight. When I waddled my way upstairs and made it to our room, I collapsed onto the bed in frustration.

John joined me a few minutes later, looking confused when he found me.

"Donna, love, is everything alright?" he asked.

"Yes," I lied. "Everything is just fine."

"Okay, well, I'm going to shower. Is there anything you need before I leave?"

"I hate to make you go downstairs again, but I could really use some water?" I asked sheepishly.

"I've got to go get a towel anyways," he told me with a smile. "I'll be right back." He turned and left the room.

I pulled myself into a sitting position and lifted my shirt over my head before standing up to go find a nightgown. Then, I slowly pulled my pants down and sat them aside so I could straighten back up and clothe myself in the light pink, long sleeved nightgown I had found.

When I had it fit snugly around me, I climbed back in bed, this time sliding under the covers. A moment later, John came back in the room. "Here's your water," he said, setting a glass on my nightstand and then, as I sat up to take a drink, he bent down to give me a kiss on the forehead. "Is that all you need?" he asked.

I took a much-needed sip of the water and smiled at him. "Yes, that's all. Thank you."

"Alright, I won't be long," he told me.

"Take as long as you need," I responded, curling up under the covers and taking in the warmth of the blankets around me. "Can you turn off the light?"

"Of course I can," he responded and I heard him go to the other side of the room and was suddenly trapped in darkness. Getting over my initial—and certainly unneeded—shock, I closed my eyes and waited patiently to fall asleep. When just laying there proved unsuccessful, I began to count in my head.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

My peaceful slumber didn't last long.

I woke up again when John crawled into bed next to me less than thirty minutes later and was immediately met with a wave of pain going through my back.

"Owww," I whined and moved so that I was closer to John. "John, it hurts," I complained, tears standing in my eyes as I curled up next to him and felt him wrap me in his arms.

"I'm sorry, love," he told me.

"Can you rub my back?" I inquired, my voice shaky.

"Why, of course I can," he answered.

I continued to cry silently to myself as I tried to focus in on John's hands roaming up and down my back.

"I love you," I mumbled.

I felt him move so that he could place a kiss on my cheek. "I love you too," he responded quietly. Then, he raced down to brush a treat from the side of my face. "Lay down your arms / And surrender to me / Lay down your arms / And love me peacefully / Use your arms for loving me / Baby, that's the way it's got to be," he sang lowly and I closed my eyes and took in every word, trying to focus entirely on falling asleep.