Chapter 56

Driving home in the early hours feels as though I'm in a dream. The quietness of the black tarmac beneath tries to lull me to sleep. But the neon store signs, and the blinding white lights of the lampposts above ensure I remain alert. My mind is completely blank, too exhausted to even process the harrowing and violent events that I have heard Willow relive over the last few hours. Instead, I simply focus on the road and the fact that I will soon be tucked up in my bed.

My inner calmness is immediately shattered as soon as I indicate into my driveway. Sarah's car is parked ominously in our driveway within the electric gates as they know the security code. Although there is no movement from within the car as I park next to her, I can sense that she is ready to pounce the second I step out of my car.

I grip the steering wheel tightly, close my tired eyes and let out a shaky breath. When I open my eyes a furious Sarah is practically pressed up against the glass of my driver's side window. She almost looks like a savage wild animal about to bear down on the glass to leave a condensation mark with her breath.

Ignoring her display, I reach for the door handle. Opening it, I realise that Ben is standing a few steps behind her. His expression is a concoction of worry, fear and anger. Instead of meeting my eyes, Ben simply looks at the floor like he doesn't trust himself not to lose his temper with me.

"It's three in the morning, what are you doing here?" I ask flatly while walking passed both of them to open the front door. Even though my back aches terribly from sitting on an uncomfortable chair for hours, I make sure to walk as normally as I can. Swiftly, I turn off the alarm system and stride into the kitchen. "Tea?"

Sarah is obviously livid. Her face is blotchy with her lips pursed in a straight line. She laughs bitterly causing me to turn back to look at her again. "Are you for real?" She spits.

"Sarah, we talked about this. You need to down." Ben says through gritted teeth.

"What was I supposed to do?" I look from Sarah and Ben in a sweeping motion. "She has no one. She's pregnant, and angry... and fucking scared for her life. So, you both tell me... what was I supposed to do?"

"Not go running to some fucking stranger who made her decision weeks ago! She cannot choose to suddenly involve you now... she had her chance and she told you to go fuck yourself." Sarah shrieks at me.

"Like I told you to go fuck yourself the countless times you tried to help me?" I retort quietly.

"That was completely different and you know it. I was your best friend then and I'm your fucking best friend now. This Willow is a stranger!" She doesn't shout this time, but her voice is still raised.

"She is doing what I never had the guts to do, Sarah! She has poured her heart out to two Detectives about every violent, humiliating and nasty thing Ed ever did to her. She is doing it now to save her baby. What did I do when I was in her position? I stayed, and my baby died at his hands. So you know what, Sarah? If you're not here to support the fact that Ed is finally going to get what is coming to him, then please just leave." I stare at her, waiting for her to walk out in a fit of rage.

"We are here because we love you, Lizzie. We are worried about you and your babies. This is all happening at a time when you should be avoiding any stress, and you just seem to want to run head first into it!" Ben interjects before Sarah can respond. He walks over to her and rests his hand on her shoulder. "We understand why you want to help, but you need to understand how worried we are."

"What he said." Sarah comments softly, rolling her eyes.

"Cup of tea?" I ask again.

"Yes please, for both of us." Ben says as he kisses Sarah's temple.