Chapter 23

While Daniel remains perfectly still on the hallway floor almost in a trance, I decide that I need to do something. My dad's face unexpectedly pops into my head as I stand up, and I know exactly what to do.

"I'll put the kettle on." I say simply, but with a typical British confidence that a cup of tea always makes things better.

Daniel looks up at me, his piercing blue eyes somehow dimmed with anger, frustration and fear. Despite spending the week in the sun, suddenly his bronzed face appears grey and sullen. My heart breaks at the sight of him crumpled on the floor.

Holding out my hand, he takes it without hesitation allowing me to help him get back on his feet. He gently cups my face in his hands and rests his forehead against mine, both of us taking solace in the silence.

Rhys enters the hallway as I step back to lead Daniel through to the kitchen. He follows behind us, clearly assessing our emotional state before choosing the right time to speak.

Once Daniel is sat at the kitchen island, I walk round to fill the kettle up. "Tea?" I ask both men.

"Please." Daniel responds.

"Not for me, could I have a glass of water please?" Rhys asks politely while his hands are placed firmly in his suit pockets. I nod in response while I reach for a glass in the cupboard and fill it up with ice cold water. I then make our tea once the kettle has boiled.

The startling sound of Rhys's ringtone makes both Daniel and I jump. Rhys looks apologetic and a little annoyed when he sees who is calling, as though it will interrupt whatever he has planned to discuss.

"Hi..." he says, but then just listens to whoever is speaking on the other end of the call. He frowns deeply before reaching onto the island and picking up the TV remote. He flicks on the TV, swiftly changing the channel. 

"For fuck sake!" I exclaim bitterly as the footage replays the horrendous events of the last fifteen minutes. Even though I'm well aware what is about to unfold, I can't take my eyes from the screen.

The angle of the footage is from behind the car. It's like watching a movie... with me in it. I watch myself in a dreamlike state, stepping out of the car. Immediately turning to take Daniel's hand as he clambers out of the car right behind me. Even though I know exactly the moment the journalist puts his hand on me, I'm still surprised by how painful it looks when he roughly grabs my wrist. Both Daniel and Rhys's eyes briefly snap to my wrist as my hand instinctively covers it. I smile sadly as my stare returns to the TV just in time to watch Daniel lose his shit.

Daniel lowers his head as though he is unable to watch himself. Instead of watching the TV anymore, I study Daniel's expression. He looks like a beaten man.

His words to the journalist echo through the kitchen. "You touch my girlfriend again and I'll do more than break your fucking nose." Daniel closes his eyes tightly before pinching the bridge of his nose.

The footage ends on a close up of Daniel screaming at the journalist, who is now cowering on the floor.

"Movie star, Daniel Weston involved in an altercation outside of the central London home that he shares with pregnant girlfriend, Lizzie Cooper." The attractive reporter says from behind her grey desk. "Shocking behaviour! However, it has reopened the debate on whether celebrities should accept that their private lives are public property, or whether such behaviour by the media is a violation of their privacy. Please join us after the break..." Rhys switches off the TV with an audible sigh.

"The journalist has been arrested for assault. However, you need to be prepared that he's going to press charges against you in return." Rhys speaks firmly, directly to Daniel.