Chapter 28

"Penny for your thoughts?" Daniel asks me while we sit in the central London traffic on our way to view the next house.

I shake my head to focus my thoughts. "Sorry, I was in a world of my own."

"You've hardly said a word since we left the Cotswolds. If you want that house, just say the word and we will buy it!" His expression is pensive, as though he has no idea what I'm thinking.

"We agreed, Daniel! We view all three and then we go back to any that we like for a second viewing. This is a decision that we need to make together, and it needs to be the right move for all of us." I swallow my words about wanting the Cotswolds house because I know we need to look at all the options before making the jump.

Daniel begins to chuckle. "You're really not an impulse buyer, are you?"

I laugh too, thankful that he's made the situation more lighthearted for us both. "Nope, not one bit!"

"Ok! Well we're here." He comments before approaching huge closed gates. A security guard approaches the car, so Daniel winds down the window. "Hello. I'm Daniel Weston, we're here to view a house with Eve Denning."

"Of course, Sir. I was informed to expect you. Follow the road to the left and the house is number six on the left hand side." He smiles warmly before stepping away from the car.

"Thank you." Daniel says as the gates open.

We drive passed a number of closed gates with none of the houses behind viewable from the road. It soon becomes clear that each of the houses circle around a large communal green with a children's play park at the centre. "That's sweet." I comment drawing Daniel's attention to the area.

He nods with a smile. "Number six." Daniel pulls into the only driveway with the gates open in readiness for us. As soon as we turn off the road, the house comes into view.

"It's gorgeous," I comment more to myself than to Daniel. The simple, white, modern look of the house is the polar opposite to the character of the Cotswolds house, but it really is beautiful. I feel a little more prepared going into this house as we have already seen photographs of each of the rooms.

"I like it." Daniel says simply while he parks the car outside the front of the house next to Eve's car. He opens the door and walks round to open the door for me. He brown furrows as I step out for the car. "You feeling OK?"

"Just tired." I explain with a yawn. "I'm fine though, honestly."

Eve steps out onto the driveway. "Hello, again. It hasn't got the history of the house in the Cotswolds, but isn't it a beauty?"

We both nod enthusiastically in agreement.

"As you know from the brochure, this is a gated community of twelve individually designed houses. There is a guard at the main entrance twenty-four hours a day, and then each property is privately gated. I'll leave you to have a look around, and again, I'll be in the back garden whenever you're ready." She grins before entering the house and disappearing out of sight.

Daniel puts his arm around my shoulders, and instinctively, I intertwine my fingers with his. "House number two, let's see what you have to show us." I grin up at him before he presses his lips against my temple.

"I'll follow your lead." Daniel whispers again with a cheeky wiggle of his eyebrows.

"Come on." I tentatively walk through the modern black front door into the entrance hallway. It's sleek and minimalist, just as I remember from the photographs.

Eve has ensured again that each of the doors are closed. I don't have the nervous anticipation that I had earlier today in the Cotswolds, but there is no denying that this house is gorgeous. The checkerboard black and white tiled floor looks sophisticated against the stark white walls. The stairs are white with a black glossy bannister.