Chapter 50

Sitting upright in the oversized leather office chair, I rub my painful ribs while our babies feel like they are enjoying wrestling, and winning against my internal organs.

The final version of the series of TV adverts flashes before my eyes, filling every fibre inside me with pride that we have made it... just in time. Every frame and detail that I have imagined over the last few months plays out on the enormous screen within the beautiful settings of several Banner Hotels. The series of adverts begins with a young couple on their first holiday together, then each one follows their lives through their holidays over the years. The final advert shows the same couple watching their grandchildren swimming while the sun sets behind them. A lump rises in my throat of emotion watching my creation come to life.

Once the screen fades to black, the room immediately fills with applause. The lights are switched back on, bathing the conference room in harsh light. "You are a bloody genius!" Harrison exclaims while he claps loudly. My cheeks become rosey immediately while all eyes remain on me.

"They look perfect, just the way I knew they would!" I grin widely to each of the board members around the table.  "Great team effort." I clap to each member of the team that has worked with me.

After polite but exhausting conversation with the board members, the day slowly draws to a close. Soon just Harrison and I are left to say our goodbyes. Slowly, I collect the glasses and coffee mugs to place them on the trays. Subconsciously, as this could be my last time professionally in a Banner hotel, I don't want to leave the room a mess. I can't help but grin to myself, knowing how ridiculous that sounds.

"You going to miss working with us?" Harrison asks quietly before I realise he is helping to tidy up too.

"Of course I am! This whole project has been a dream for me. I can't thank you enough for having faith in me to do Banner Hotels justice, especially once I started out on my own." I answer honestly.

"Well, I have a proposition for you." He leans down on the table opposite me onto his fingertips. "Can you stop tidying up for two minutes, and just sit down please?"

I do as he asks, cautiously watching how serious he suddenly looks. Harrison straightens his light blue tie against his crisp white shirt before sitting down opposite me.

"Lizzie. I've told you before that I hold you in such high regard. Your ideas, commitment and sheer tenacity have breathed life into my hotels. This media campaign would not have been possible without you and your imagination." He stares pointedly, keeping his expression serious.

"Thank you." I respond swiftly, embarrassed again by how to the point Harrison can be.

"Well... how would like to join Banner Hotels as our Head of Marketing, Worldwide? After your maternity leave of course." He gestures to my enormous bump with a smirk.

My mind races at the speed of light, torn between knowing this could be my dream job, and the balance that I will need to find as a wife and a new mother. Clearing my throat to give me a couple of extra seconds to think, I know the right decision for my family. "Harrison, I'm flattered. I mean really flattered... and I've loved working alongside you. But-"

"Thanks but no thanks?" Harrison jibes with a twitch of his head. "Just think of the amazing things we could do together."

"And we still can!" I smile sadly up at him, meeting his disappointed eyes. "Look, I'm not sure I'll ever be ready to be someone's employee again, even with such an amazing opportunity as the one you are offering. Being my own boss has been amazing, and given me the flexibility to work when I choose."

"I'd give you all the flexibility you could ever want." He interjects without a pause.

I nod in agreement. "I know you would, but I have no idea how I'm going to feel once the babies are here. Also, I've promised to travel with Daniel as a family when he's filming as often as we can, so right now is not the right time for me to be committing to a job offer. It wouldn't be fair on either of us."

"So there isn't anything I could do to convince you?"

Slowly shaking my head, I don't feel any regret at turning Harrison down. "You have nearly eighteen months worth of TV adverts, social media campaigns, plus more traditional advertising avenues. We've done what we set out to do, and I couldn't be more proud. So I feel like now is the right time for me to step away. If you decide once this campaign is over that you want to work together again, then I'd be delighted to help in the same format as I have this time."

He nods in reluctant acceptance before swiftly standing up. "I knew it was a long shot, but I had to try!"

"I'm very grateful for that, Harrison." I smile up at him.

He glances at his watch. "Well, I guess that's a wrap."

"Yeah, I think it is." I pull myself back to a standing position using the oak table to steady me.

"Just one more thing before you go..." he strides behind a corner desk before pulling out two enormous hampers of baby items.

"Wow, Harrison. Thank you." Walking across to the corner of the room, I am shocked at the amount of items beneath the cellophane. I am able to see clothing, blankets, photo frames, toys, teddy bears, and a memory box in each hamper. "These are just beautiful." I comment with a huge smile as I study a white baby grow with a yellow rocking horse embroidered beautifully across the front.

"I can't really take the credit for what is in there. I took my girls shopping, and they chose everything. Then the sales woman in Harrods sorted the hampers, so I didn't have to wrap anything." Harrison looks extremely proud of himself.

"Well, please pass on my thanks to Molly and Mia. They have excellent taste." I grin while looking at the gifts again.

"Mia is adamant your having two girls, but Molly said her money is on one of each. So to even it up, I've said two boys." He chuckles.

"So you're gambling on my unborn children, with your children." I giggle in amusement.

"Yep... winner gets £10!"

"Oooh, huge stakes!" I tease him.

"Will you come in and see us once they're here? The girls are so excited to meet them." For once Harrison looks unsure of himself.

"Yes, of course I will!" I promise. "Can you help me carry these hampers to the car please?"

He nods, picking up both enormous hampers as though they weigh nothing. "You still in your Mini?"

"Yeah, for now. Haven't got the energy to be car shopping right now."

Once the hampers are safely inside the boot, I notice Harrison looks emotional. "I'll see you soon." I say simply.

He embraces me warmly. "Good luck with the birth, and yeah... I'll see you soon."

- hey guys!

I hope you're all safe and well.

Did you enjoy this chapter?

Do you think Lizzie has done the right thing turning Harrison down?

Thanks for still reading and commenting, it means the world! Love T x -