Chapter 7

Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I knock Caroline's front door with my usual signature rhythm. Daniel squeezes my hand briefly before he nuzzles his lips into my hair to kiss my scalp. I turn to face him with a tentative grin.

Just looking at his lopsided smile makes my heart still in my chest. I don't think I will ever get used to how handsome he is. His wavy hair is slightly beyond control and has a wildness I haven't seen before. Reaching up, I push a stray curl off his forehead before I rest my palm against his cheek. He leans into my hand, making his stubble tickle my palm.

"You ready?" Daniel asks me as we hear footsteps approaching the door.

"As I'll ever be." I bite my lip to suppress the emotion that keeps hitting me like rolling waves during a storm. "I just never thought I'd be telling Caroline I was pregnant again."

Daniel calmly repeats what he's already said in the car on the drive over. "Sweetheart, it's OK to feel overwhelmed. Caroline has lived through your darkest times with you. It's natural that you're both going to be emotional-"

Jeremy opens the door to their flat with a huge grin on his face, silencing Daniel's words. "Hey!" He says animatedly before he kisses my cheek.

"Hi." I answer as I feel myself being gently ushered out of the way so he can engulf Daniel in a loose cuddle, ensuring that he doesn't hurt his chest.

"Hey, man!" Daniel chuckles against Jeremy.

"You look so much better!" Jeremy exclaims once he's examined Daniel's face, closing the front door behind him. He gestures for us to walk through into the open plan living area. "You look good too, Lizzie." He says, clearly as an afterthought.

I roll my eyes with a chuckle. "Where is Caroline?" I ask as I take a seat on the sofa.

"Throwing her guts up for the hundredth time today." Jer shakes his head in disbelief. "I'm not even joking! It's a good job she's working from home today because she would be useless at the gallery."

Daniel sits down next to me and places his hand on my thigh. I immediately intertwine my fingers with his. "Shall I go and check on her?"

"No, she will be out in a second." Jeremy strides to the doorway. "Caroline? Daniel and Lizzie are here. You coming out any time soon?"

Daniel squeezes my fingers when we hear the door to the bathroom open and close. Turning to face him, I try to smile but I can feel that it appears more like a grimace. "I love you." He whispers into my ear before softly planting a kiss on my temple.

Before I can respond, Caroline enters the room like a whirlwind. Other than extremely rosey cheeks, she looks fabulous. "Hey hun, how you feeling?" I stand up to embrace her.

"Eurgh." She respond simply.

"That bad?" I hold her at arms length to have a proper look at her. "You look pretty amazing for someone who feels Eurgh."

"You're a liar!" She exclaims dramatically as she steps away from me.

"You're glowing, Caroline." Daniel hugs her tightly.

"It's bloody sweat!" She laughs as she steps into the kitchen area to pick up a glass of water.

Jeremy wraps his arm around her. "You look beautiful, my angel." He kisses her head.

She swats him away with a giggle. "Piss off. You're all liars!" She pushes her curly hair behind her ears. I can see the twinkle in her eye at all of our compliments, even as she bats them away. Pregnancy suits her.

Jeremy makes us all a hot drink, with the exception of Caroline who sticks to water. We sit around their glass dining table and keep the topic of conversation on Caroline's pregnancy.