Chapter 2

Chapter 2. A smile

(May's Point of View)

The next few months were a blur to me. It was as though June never even existed, her body disappeared the next morning. Well, at least they were going to have to stop all tests, and experimentation's for a while. There was a fire in the O+ Boys block. I'm pretty sure the boys there were being given the same drug which we were given, they were going through the same thing. The other girls and I sat almost lifelessly on our stained mattresses as we waited for our new block-mates to arrive.

"Just great" I mumbled in a hoarse voice, " this probably means they are gonna give us half the rations we get now, to keep the boys who will be transferred from dying"

Some of the others girls murmured in agreement.

A few hours later the door was unlocked, and two nurses brought in 4 dusty mattresses, followed by three guards bringing in the boys in handcuffs. Their eyes were just like mine, lifeless, hopeless, forgotten. Their skin was also as pale as mine, most of the people here haven't felt the sun on their skin since they were five or six.

I studied all four of the boys carefully, one stood out. His eyes were not as dull as the rest. I stared into his deep green eyes for what felt like forever, finally, he noticed me and looked at me with a cautious look before; he smiled at me.

No one had smiled at me since that day seven years ago, when my dad told me to hide under the bed until he comes to get me.

It was like being sucked inside a world full of mystery.

Why did he smile...? That question kept swirling in my head, but as I stayed, looking into those still deep green eyes I felt the corners on my lips curve upwards as well.

~the next day~

It seemed like the O+ Block was still under repair, the guards hadn't taken any of us to those torture chambers for the last two days.

The door slightly opened, and a short blonde nurse walked in with fourteen trays of food.

"Here you go" she said in a small voice, her eyes filled with pity.

My eyes lit up a bit as I saw her put down trays of fresh bread with cheese sticks and plastic cups filled with milk.

After I settled down with my tray I looked over at the boys' side. My eyes were naturally drawn to that boy's eyes just like yesterday, his eyes found mine faster than they did yesterday.

I awkwardly scooted beside him.

"What's your name" I said in a hushed voice.

"Luke" he responded.

"How old are you"

"14, I think... I've been here for about 8 years now"

He sounded like he was trying his best not to break.

I slid my arm over his shoulder and lightly touched his hair.

"It's okay..." I whispered, knowing myself it was a lie.

He flinched at my touch, but eventually I felt his muscles relax.

It felt like hours before the alarms for curfew rang. I slid my arm off him and crawled over to my mattress. I felt two tear drops drip off my chin, I hadn't felt a warm touch ever since June died. A small patch of heat still embedded on my arm.

Falling asleep that night seemed easier; easier than the usual chore it was. Though i was trapped like an animal, at least I wasn't alone.

AUTHORS NOTE!
I just want to mention this again, Most of the images and videos were not made by me.
Hope who ever read this chapter liked it :)