Epiloge

Chris's Point of View

I watched her step out of the institution, the expression on her face was so hopeful. Her silhouette on the monitor in front of me, her eyes darting around what she thought was the real world.
8 years ago, when the lab was still running, Keith exposed it all. He called reporters, cops, radio stations, leaving anonymous tips everywhere.
Many people showed up, but not enough. They rounded up the children and put them to sleep. They forced the press to stay quiet and everything seemed normal to the world the very next day.
I ran away when I realized Keith could no longer help, he didn't have enough influence. Not knowing where to go, I came back to the lab, and was found. The interviewed me, but not once did they hurt me. These people, they were different. It was a rescue team of sorts.
Some of the subjects woke up, most didn't. May being part of the most. But the some that did, they were a complete mess. Scared, paranoid, they couldn't understand what was happening.
So the people, they build a virtual reality, letting the children wake up in a quite haven, letting them wander in a safe bubble.
It worked, they were happy, blissfully being lied to.
Now it's Mays turn. She looks so happy, running around in her long plastic gown.
She'll find the others soon, she won't be alone. May would no longer feel pain. That thought brought me an almost cynical satisfaction, but she had already had her fair share of hurt.
For the first time in her life she could feel free, and I'll be joining her soon.
They promised me, we'd all live in virtual freedom for a month, that's how long they could keep out physical bodies on life support. It's long enough, I'll be happy, with her, till the end.