Chapter 8

Chapter 8. Better Days.

(May's point of view)

"May" I heard a timid voice call. I must be dreaming again, but then I heard it again. I slowly opened my eyes. A tall girl with short blond hair was kneeling in front of me. I focused my eyes on her face, "Anna?" I asked.
"Yeah" she answered "are you okay" she asked.
"I'm fine" I assured, my voice lightly breaking. A few tears slipped past my facade. Anna quickly pulled me in a comfortable embrace, something I knew I really needed, but refused to except. I kept trying to push her away, but the more I struggled, the more tightly her arms seemed to lock around my waist.
"Let go of me" I said, my voice flowing with confusion and anger. I didn't want pity, at the same time I didn't want her to let me go. I lightly placed my hands around her neck, I felt her body tremble. She was crying just as much as I was.
"I'm sorry" I told her, before she tightened her grip on me.
After she hesitantly let go of me, two boys came forward. They was much shorter than Anna, I looked at the one to my left,he looked like he held no emotion.
"Who are you" I asked him.
"My name is Eden, I'm number 114" said the one to my left. He had short dirty blonde hair, and a trail of freckles across his nose.
"Mine is David, number 121" said the one to my right. Eden's face strongly resembled Eden's, minus the freckles.
The three of them stared at me intently, until Anna broke the silence.
"Did you see the outside" she asked, her eyes looking like a lotus desperate to bloom.
"Yes" I stated, I would never be able to forget the sight of the sun.
"What was it like" Eden asked. I thought for a moment before answering.
"It was beautiful. The sun was so warm, and the grass felt softer than any of the mattresses in here" I told them, remembering the wonderful sight I had seen. I suddenly saw the truth that had been right in front of me this whole time.
"Luke, you were right" I mumbled.

I spent the rest of the day telling Anna, Eden, and David the whole story of us trying to escape. To them every word I spoke, seemed like a precious one. Even if Chris was the only one who did, I felt happy. Soon enough, the curfew alarm wrung. I rested my head against the icy walls, and drifted of to sleep.

~The Next Morning~

The morning alarm was as loud as ever. I felt a heavy weight on my stomach, I groaned as I opened my eyes to see Anna's head comfortably resting on me. Anna forced her eyes open, and quickly sat up.
"Do you think Chris will be okay" Anna asked me.
"I think we should be more worried about ourselves right now" I sighed.
For some reason everything started feeling normal again, like a whole "I almost escaped" thing was just a dream. I frowned at that thought. Anna put her hand on mine. "We are going to be fine, you showed me that. Someday maybe, we'll all escape" she forced her lips upwards.
"Maybe" I whisper to myself "someday"