8

Neck stiff, body aching, Gianna slowly opened her eyes once she realized the car came to a stop. Alex wasn't in the car, instead he was outside talking to some older man. She rubbed her eyes and watched as they shook hands and he handed over the keys and the guy handed him a huge wad of cash. He then turned and came back to the car, noticing she was awake now.

"Hey," he smiles.

"Hey...what's going on?" She nods over to the mad he just did business with.

"I️ sold the car," he tells her. "Come on, there's a bus station nearby. We can find something to eat there," he says. She gets out the car and haves the man a small smile as she passes him by. They both head out of the car junkyard it seemed, and into the streets of a random Mexican town.

"Where are we?" She asks him, grasping his hand right so she could keep up with his long strides and not have to run to struggle keeping up with his equally long legs.

"We're crossing through Durango," he says. "Soon as we find a bus station we can relax and find a way to Laredo. There, I'll use this," he pays his pocket to signal the money, careful not to flash it in case someone stole it right from him, "to pay a coyoté to get us through."

"Why can't we just go to the embassy in Mexico City?" She asks. "We'll prove we're not citizens and then-"

"Then what? Get locked up cause of who are fathers are? No thanks," he scoffed. "This is easier. Once we cross, we're home free," he tells her. "Just hold on for a bit longer, alright?" He stops to look down at her. She nods her head, having no other choice than to do just go with it, and follows him at they finally reach the bus station. Alex uses the money they got from selling the car to buy them two tickets to Nuevo Laredo, along with going a bit of shopping in the nearby flea markets for better clothing than their PJ's and food.

Gianna settled for an oversized T-shirt, the Nike shorts she was given from Manny and regular tennis shoes. This was the first time she wasn't wearing anything designer and she felt herself die a little bit on the inside. Alex opted for a different shit and a baseball hat, urging for her to do the same as well. She tied the shirt back till it hugged her figured, earning her a couple stares and whistles. Alex looked back at her in alarm.

"What are you doing?!" He hisses, reaching out to undo the knot from her shirt. "We're supposed to be lowkey and you're drawing attention to yourself," he scolded.

"I-"

"Do you not understand how dire the situation is?"

"Alex-"

"Honestly, how so far removed from reality are you?"

"Alex!" Gianna screeches before pointing behind him to showcase three men with guns heading their way, carelessly shoving people aside while they were at it. Everyone screamed at the sight of their weapons and Alex quickly grabs Gianna's hands as they started to make a run for it.

Alex seemed to have an idea of where they were going, as they ducked, dodged and weaved through the crowded streets, trying to shake and lose their pursuers while also trying to make it to their destination. Suddenly a shot rings out, making Gianna scream in fright as they turned a corner. They run deep into an alleyway and quickly duck behind a dumpster, Alex covering her mouth as he held her against his chest as they both tried to stifle their hard breathing.

They heard three angry Spanish voices as they got closer before sounding more far and far away. Eventually the voices stopped, signifying they were long gone, and as Gianna moved to stand, Alex pulls her back down, shaking his head. "We have to wait a few minutes to make sure they're actually gone," he says.