15

"G," a deep voice called from behind her, making her turn to face them.

"Did you know he was here?" Gianna asked.

Roman's jaw ticked before he answered. "I️'m the one who let him in," he admits.

"Why?" She asked, slowly making her way over to him now. "I️-I️ don't get it. I️ thought you guys hated each other."

Roman sighed. "Look, one man already left your life without closure and I️ didn't wanna to traumatize you further by not giving you closure with Alex. I️ promised your dad I️ would protect you and that doesn't end at just physically, alright? I️'m gonna do whatever it takes to help you," he promises.

Gianna tears up at his confession and suddenly hugs him, bringing him closer. "I️ love you," she sniffs. "It's always been you," she says.

Romano's strong and familiar embrace makes her feel safe once more. "I️t's always been you too," she hears him whisper in her ear. Before anything else could happen, a knock on the door breaks them apart.

Dante's head peeks from behind the door as he looks between the two. "Y'all good?" He asks, seeing the tears running down Gianna's face.

"Oh D," she murmurs, running towards her brother with open arms. He catches her and hugs her back tightly. "I'm sorry," she cries.

"It's not your fault G. It's just what happens in this life," he reassures her. "Imma make sure you and ma gon be straight forever, you hear me?"

"But you're the leader now," she gasps softly. "I️ already lost papa, I️ don't think mama and I️ could handle losing you too-"

"Don't worry about me. I️ can handle anything," Dante affirms. "Besides, Roman gon' be helping me out with you," he smirks. "Ain't that right Rome?"

"Yes sir," Roman smiles, making her giggle up to him.

Dante steps back from her and let's her go. "I'll see you downstairs," he nods before walking out the room.

"Wipe your tears Princess," Roman says from behind her. "At least for the next two hours," he assured her as he rest a hand on the small of her back. She wiped her tears and laid her head on his chest before standing up straight, looking ready to face the world.

"Okay....I'm ready," she says quietly. Roman nods and opens the door, letting her walk first before he followed behind suit.

The truth is, she would never be ready for what's to come. But she learned from her father that she had to be ready, for anything.

Always.