Super Powers

SUPER POWERS

When I was a kid, me and my friends used to play a game where we would ask ourselves. If you were a superhero, what super power would you want to have? Steve used to want super speed. He would say he would be the Flash. Running so fast he could break through time. Joey wanted laser eye vision. He said he would melt off the teachers face next time she failed him at a test. Tonya, who was a year old than us, wanted to fly like Superman. She would look up to the sky, and dream about darting through the clouds and look down to wave at us before shooting away to places she'd never been before.

We talked about this throughout Elementary school and into middle school. Then one day we laid on our back in the grass and gazed up at the stars one night camping. A bright ball streaked through the sky leaving a trail of stardust behind it. Tonya closed her eyes. She asked us to do the same. We all did, and she told us to make a wish for the powers we always wanted. I haven't spoken to any of them since then.

Steve died in a car crash in high school. Tony and Joey were at the funeral but I couldn't bring myself to go. It's hard to lose a friend when you're that young.

Tonya did good for herself after high school. She graduated with honors, and attended an ivy league college. However, on her way home from college, her plane lost power in the air and crashed. Everyone was killed on impact. It hurt no less that time either

I just heard that Joey died in a house fire, the other day. That hurts too.

I know I should have said something or spoken to them again so there wasn't all this pent up emotion each time I see them pass. But I wasn't a kid that wanted to be like a normal super hero. I wanted the power to become invisible..