The lost child

THE LOST CHILD

It's been a month since the accident. I'm only writing this now because I'm scared, she's watching me. This all started a week after. Me and some friends were out partying, doing what young adults do best. Thinking back I wish I could take back that whole night. We where at my cousin's house, everyone was getting drunk, having a good time. It was like every other Saturday night. The night was at it's climax, people started throwing up, so I figured that was my que. The room was spinning and I honestly just wanted to get home and get some sleep, so I went looking for my girlfriend. I checked the house but had no luck.. So I checked the backyard, It was cold that night. As I opened the door a blast of cold wind it, my breath became visible. The amber glow of cheap outdoor lighting didn't help my eyes, but I did hear my girlfriend giggling. As I turned to look, I saw the soft crack of light coming from beneath the tool shed.

As I approached the shed, I started to piece together what was going on. I didn't want to believe it, nor did I want to open those creaky old doors. I was shocked, even though I knew before seeing it. She was getting screwed by some guy I didn't even know. I blew up, screaming and yelling. I stormed off and got in my car, I didn't care that she was my sober driver, I just wanted to go home. I was so pissed driving home, I don't even remember how fast I was going.. Then it happened.. A young girl, she came out of nowhere.. I can still hear the cracking sound, it was so loud. I slammed on my breaks and sat in the car, looking at my rear view as if she was just going to get up and skip home. In a panic I floored it. I finally got home, but I still couldn't believe what had happen. I just wanted to go to sleep so bad, so I shuffled into my house and got into bed.

I didn't get any sleep that night, nor did I get any in the coming of weeks. Everytime I got to sleep, I would hear my car running, as if I was sitting in it. Then that god awful crackling, like bones being snapped. It only got worse as the days went by. Hearing about it on the news didn't help. 'Young girl in a hit and run accident, so suspect yet.' seeing her parents in tears, it was tearing me up inside. I didn't mean to do, please dear god believe me.. But the nightmares became worse, I would hear my car running, but instead of the crackle, I hear a girl giggling.. Just giggling.. At this point I wasn't getting any sleep, I started to show signs of distress. My friends thought I was doing drugs, I couldn't tell them I was being haunted by the girl I hit. So I lied, pretended I was.

The night after lying, the nightmares stopped. Finally I was able to get some sleep. I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed, for once I didn't feel like a complete waste of life. I got out of bed and went to the kitchen to get some coffee. Everything just felt so good. Then. I heard it. A giggle, a simple giggle, just around the corner. I froze in place, tears running down my cheeks. "God no, please". I told myself. I sat down my cup, I didn't want to, but I had too, just like that night at my cousins. Slowly I creeped around the corner unsure what I would find, terror filled my to the brim. I closed my eyes, I didn't want to look. I peeked my eyes open slowly, but saw nothing. Nothing was there.

So I went about the rest of my day, trying to forget about it. I started to feel that crashing feeling, probably due to all the sleep I lost, but I wasn't going to let this ruin my day. I hungout with some friends, they said I was looking better, whatever that meant. I'm sure they were just worried about they're 'druggy' friend. The day past so quickly, and I was so tired at this point. Once I got home I went straight to bed, didn't give myself a chance to think about the little girl I hit. I got to sleep again, no nightmares, just black out sleep. I wasn't sure how long I was out for, but I awoke to a giggling. I rocketed up, sitting in my bed. I remember covering my face, I was soaking in sweat. Then I looked up. I saw her.. Her face was deformed and burled, her blond hair sticking to her skin as if it was wet. I just started screaming "No no no!" over and over again. I watched as this screwed up little girl crawled up my bed, she moved like a skippy frame-rate. Each time she put her hand on my bed, I would hear the crackle of bones, over and over. It was maddening, it was so loud I covered my ears. And just like that she was gone.

I stayed up till the sun came up, didn't dare take my eyes off my bedroom door. Once my room was lit with sunlight, I began writing this.. I'm going to turn myself in today, but I wanted to write this before. Please believe me, I didn't mean to do it, she came out of nowhere.. She came out of nowhere.