It Haunted Us From The Baby Monitor

It started four months after the birth of our beautiful baby girl. Our little girl was the sweetest, most gentle little newborn any new parent could have asked for. We named our little one after the month she was born, May. May was born on a rainy night, I was the only one in labor on the entire floor that night. Like any new mother I was exhausted after hours of labor, all I wanted to do was rest. My husband Matt looked after our little one while I rested but eventually he fell asleep too.

I was laying in my bed watching my new family sleep peacefully when I felt the sudden urge to use the restroom. I called for my nurse asking her to help me get up and walk over to the bathroom. After a few minutes the nurse came in, I hushed her as she began speaking; I pointed at Matt who was passed out on the sofa. The nurse and I quietly exited and began walking to the bathroom. As we were making our way back to my bed another nurse came in carrying a small blanket. She walked in and began looking around, when my nurse asked her who she was looking for her coworker looked confused. She began explaining to us that as she was passing over to the nurse station she walked passed our room and saw a little girl with long black hair standing on her tiptoes looking at the newborn baby. The nurse mentioned that the little girl was wearing a dress and assumed she might like a blanket since the room was a little chilly.

I looked at my nurse confused and a little worried that someone else's kid could just walk into my room and look at my newborn without anyone but the nurse noticing. I quickly told her that May was my first born and that we weren't expecting any visitors. I asked if perhaps the little girl had gotten separated from her parent's room however my nurse was quick to mention that there were no families at the moment with children on the floor.

A few months after that Matt and I moved into our new home, we were immediately welcomed by everyone and liked our new neighborhood. As we were unpacking and setting up May's room I pulled out some baby monitors that we were planning on using now that May would be sleeping on her own. Matt and I were testing the baby monitors for a while, he was upstairs in May's room while I was downstairs in the kitchen. After a few successful tries I began making dinner, leaving the baby monitor on the counter. I was cutting vegetables when I began hearing static on the monitor, thinking that Matt was probably still upstairs messing with it I ignored it and turned it off. I walked over to the fridge when I heard a very faint voice, I walked over to the counter and picked up the monitor pressing firmly against my ear.

A very faint but identifiable noise was coming from the static, I realized right away that it sounded like a young child laughing. I turned around and looked at May, she lay quietly on her swing sleeping soundly. I turned back to the monitor trying to make out the noise again when it suddenly stopped, the lights on the monitor went down and stayed off. Matt came in at that moment through the backdoor carrying some tools from the shed. I asked him if he had taken the baby monitor with him outside, he looked at me and laughed a little at my strange question. He replied back saying that he had left the baby monitor upstairs a while ago. I began telling him what I had just heard, he shrugged it off and explained that it was most likely interference from another family's monitor.

A few days after that I decided to take May to the park, we left home and began making our way down the street when my next door neighbor stopped us. My next door neighbor was a sweet old lady, she began talking to May and asked me how everything was going. She was very good around May, she held her excitedly and began telling me how nice it was to have a baby in the neighborhood.

I asked her if there were other children in the neighborhood to which she quickly replied no, "Oh sweetheart there haven't been any children here in a long time. But it sure is nice to finally have one around".

She continued playing with May as I began remembering the baby monitor static. I assumed that the monitor probably didn't work anymore and told myself to remember later to tell Matt that we needed a new one when she began talking again. She mentioned that she was always willing to babysit in case Matt and I ever needed it.

I thanked her for her offer and began pushing May's stroller when she suddenly turned towards me and replied, "Of course dear, I understand if you need a break, this little one has a mouth doesn't she? I heard her cries all last night, I couldn't help but think what strong lungs she has".

I looked at her confused, and began explaining that May always slept through the night and cried very little. May certainly didn't cry loud or long enough for someone next door to hear. She nodded then winked at me, she most likely thought that I was attempting to hide my embarrassment at being unable to control my crying baby when she turned and walked back to her house. That night I told Matt what our neighbor had said, he laughed saying exactly what I had earlier "May sleeps through the night and hardly ever cries, that old lady is crazy or is probably missing her meds". I agreed and asked him to replace the baby monitors before changing the conversation.