Spiders

Spiders

There was something about spiders that creeped Billy out. He just didn't know what.

What Billy did know was, at six years old, he had to be a big boy now. That's what Dad said. He always told Billy to face his fears, whether it be spiders or monsters under the bed. So Billy tried to be like his Dad. Dad always told him: 'Billy, there are scarier things in life than spiders'.

Billy hated waking up in the middle of the night. His room was pitch black. He could see a thousand prickly spiders coming for him. He could feel their tiny legs pin pricking his skin. Billy pulled the bed covers tighter.

He blinked hard: one, two, three times, to clear his head. He thought of Dad. What would Dad do now? Dad wouldn't be scared. Dad told him the only thing scary about the dark is your imagination. There's nothing there. And as his eyes adjusted to the dark, Billy realised:

"There's nothing there"

Thinking of his Dad, Billy swung his legs over the edge of his bed and grabbed his plastic sword from the floor. He brandished it in the air, swishing it around for good measure.

"I'm not scared!"

Billy began dueling with imaginary monsters, vanquishing them with his new ally, his imagination.

"Come out then you stupid monsters," Billy took another stab at the air, "I'm not scared of you!"

"Okay then Billy," said the voice from under the bed, "I'm coming"