Facless Man

Faceless Man

It was a nice day. Fresh, light, warm. A most harmless of days. Until I heard my mother scream so loud it would've woken the devil. I found her standing in the garden in hysterics, pacing back and fourth, looking in bushes and over fences. I grabbed her and tried to speak, but she just kept screaming. I gave her a slap, and it actually worked.

"What happened, what's wrong?"

My mothers' pale face replied, "Your sister, she's gone. I was watching her play with the flowers, and when I blinked a man was standing behind her. I blinked again, and she had vanished...."

The empty black hole feeling filled my stomach. It was impossible what she had just described, but the look on her face and the shaking of her hands told the truth.

"Was there enough time to see what he looked like?" She looked like she was going to throw up. "I did. But you, nor any one would believe me"

"I know you are not mad. She is gone, and you saw who took her. I will believe you. Please" She grabbed my hands with hers and held tightly.

"He was tall. So tall. He was looming over her. His hands were thin and long like twigs. He himself was thin. Skeletal almost. But he wore a suit. A well fitted black suit, with a black tie..." She burst into tears and buried her head into my shoulders.

"It's okay. We will find her. Did you see his face? Any strong features which would make him stand out?" I carried on holding her, feeling the tears soak through my jumper and shirt. She began to whisper something which I couldn't make out.

"I will believe you no matter what. What did his face look like" She pulled back and looked right into my eyes.

"He had no face... No eyes, no mouth, no nose. It was blank. Pure whi..te..." She began to cry again. I felt terrified. An unknown person with no face had just taken my little sister, her daughter. I brought my Mother into the house and sat her down. I told her that I will call the police, I will deal with this.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"My little sister, she has just been kidnapped! Please send police over! He might still be walking round with her, we have a description of the man".

"Okay. What is your address and please give the description of the man" I gave my address and begun to explain.

"He is tall. Extremely tall. And deathly thin, but in a black suit. And he is white. Not in race. But in pure white. And he has no face. I know it sounds insane, but this is what was seen. Please" The man on the other end went silent. I thought I had been cut off.

"We will send someone out. They will be there in 5 minutes" and he hung up.

One hour went by. No one had turned up. My mother's friend had come around and was comforting her. But no police or investigators.

"This is fucking stupid. I refuse to sit here. I am going down to the police station myself. I can't sit by while she is out there!" I ran out of the house, down the busy street, and all the way to police station. The lady at the front desk gave me a funny look as I ran in panting.

"Are you alright miss?"

"No....I....shit....No. My little sister...was taken...and I called 911 for you, and no one fucking came. I called one hour ago. Where have you been?!" She looked shocked.

"We've had no call about a kidnapping in the past hour, or day" I now felt sick. "I will call one of our guys in, you can talk to him"

A brief moment later I was in a room with two officers answering questions about my sister, where I live, what my mother was doing, what I was doing. I then gave the description once again. And once again, I got blank looks with no voice. The idea of this man who took my sister was becoming more and more insane.