Ch 16

“Uh-uhm, Mr. Agreste, good, you're awake? You’re father’s here.” She was quaking in terror. “I’ll um, just ask you a few questions now that you’re awake, you girls need to leave.” We nodded and she didn’t notice when I stole the extra sheet.

Chloe and I took a small detour per my request. We stopped by the laundry room where someone was already throwing dirty sheets in the wash.

“Um, excuse me? I’m afraid you missed one so I brought it down.” I held out the sheet, crumpled to hide the blood stains. She gave me an odd look for a moment.

“Oh, thank you.” she accepted it, shrugging, throwing it in with the rest.

“Have a great day!” I called exiting the room.

“You too.” she nodded, turning on the washing machine.

We started down the hall to the exit when Chloe stopped me as a tall man passed by.

“Mr. Agreste.” she nodded in a small bow.

“Hello Chloe, I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Neither did I, you.” I looked at the man before me, he seemed cold and distant even though he was warmly greeting us and was right there.

“And who’s this?” He asked, turning to me. I held out my hand.

“Marinette, Marinette Dupain-chang.” He looked at my hand in disgust and I realized that I held out my bandaged hand as the pain started to pang through my arm, diving deep into my bones.

I pulled my hand back, embarrassed, I know I shouldn't be, it’s there because I helped my friend. But just how he looked at it, like it was the foulist thing he’s ever laid eyes on made me feel, I don’t know, bad I guess? I want to say that I don’t care about others' disapproval, but this person just had a knack for staring into your soul and showing that he’s judging it.

I understood the nurses fear now, I didn’t even notice when he left I was in such a state of panic and humiliation. My mind swirled and for a moment I felt the room silp a bit. It didn’t tilt, it slipped, like it jerked suddenly forward for a moment.

“Okay, let’s go.” Chloe ushered me, on hand holding my shoulder, grounding me. The other hand, holding out the set of gloves from yesterday, I gladly took them and slipped them on. “Don’t worry, he’s scary to everyone. How are you feeling?”

“Small.”

“No, like, how tired are you right now?”

“I’m good, there's one more thing I want to do though.”

“What is it?”

“You know Adrien’s mom?”

“Mhm?”

“I want to resurrect her. I know where her body is and I can do it, I just need time.” My stomach grumbled at me. “Eating something first might also be nice though.”

We stopped at a small cafe on the way to the library and got a cookie and two mocha’s. We took a moment to rest as we waited for the car Chloe called for. I held my injured hand to my stomach as I sipped my drink, the pain flaring up and burning.

“So you know Emily?”

“Mh, I’ve known her for a couple of years, we read together. She’s more of a mom to me than my own.”

“She was the same for me as well. That was, until she disappeared, she was last seen entering a library with her friend and then no one saw her exit.” she took a breath. “Whenever mom would leave for her travels, Emily was there for me. I really miss her.”