Ch 4

We made it outside, the cool air refreshing.

“Don’t listen to her, she doesn't know what she’s talking about.” Iridessa comforted me.

“Thanks, but I’m alright.” I looked over at Adrien who seemed to have something eating away at him inside. “Hey, are you okay?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah, sorry, it’s just weird that I was friends with her at one point.”

We walked Iridessa and her dad to their car in silence.

“Thanks, do you need a ride?” Iridessa hugged me by their minivan. I glanced over to Adrien who just shrugged.

“I appreciate the offer, but have to decline, I wouldn't want to bother you.”

“Okay, but know you're never a bother, see ya at the library tomorrow!” She opened the car door and sat in the seat. “Oh, one last thing, If that girl gives you any more grief, tell me and I’d gladly teach her respect.”

I gave a nervous laugh. “Thank you, but you don’t need to.”

“My offer forever stands.” Her smile full of mischief, we waved goodbye and I stood there watching them drive away for a moment before making my way to the bus stop.

It was a moment before we spoke again. “You’re thinking about Chloe, right?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry, this is going to take awhile, I grew up with her and she was always so nice to me and now I saw what she said to you and you looked like you were used to it which you shouldn’t have to be.”

“Thank you, but that reality, people change and sometimes not for the better.”

“I know, I just never expected it to happen to Chole. Everything is happening so fast and I’m not prepared for this. I mean, I’m currently a ghost, a week ago, I thought you were insane for believing in ghost’s and now I’m one myself!”

“Excuse me?”

“I said that I thought. I’ll admit that I was closed minded and insensitive towards you and ghosts. That’s on me and I want to make it up to you and change.” We stopped at the bench, waiting for the bus. “But please give me some time, I still am getting used to all this. I think that I’m taking big strides in understanding this, but I think the shock is finally starting to catch up to me and this is hard to take in.”

“Alright, I understand, just, please refrain from calling me crazy, and you need to tell nino that he can’t call me crazy either tomorrow, we’ll tell him in the morning.”

“Of course!” he gave a knee weakening smile. I wrapped my coat around me tighter. I was saved by the bus.

“Okay well, let’s go to the library.” I hurried to the open doors of the bus, trying so hard not to stummed. That failed, as I was hurrying to the back of the bus, I stumbled and fell down. I was so close and I lost focus, it also doesn't help that the driver started driving when I was close to my seat. I picked myself up and wiped the grit off my hands, I hate buses in winter, the floor is disgusting.

“Are you okay?!” Adrien asked as he walked me to the isolated seat. I could see in his eyes that he felt useless, unable to stand up to Chloe for me or help me up.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I felt bad, I wanted to comfort him and tell him it’s not his fault and that there was nothing he could have done, but I couldn’t find the words.

We sat in silence, Adrien nervously fiddling with his hair and me dozing off a bit.

“We’re here.” Adrien gently said waking me up, his ghostly hand on my shoulder, trying to get me up.